MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember those old saws usually had low horsepower ratings. I'd bet the 895 would have been around 6.5 to 7 at best. And it may be difficult, unless you disconnect the governor to get a no load rpm. These are not like modern direct drive saws at all. Normal rpm in wood is prolly around 9k to 9.5k in wood and when loaded heavily with a long (60" +) bar, mine opens the reeds and just gains massive rpm screaming at what I would bet is around 12.5k or better. However remember that is at a 2:1 drive ratio so little chain speed. You can make up for the lower chain by running a much larger tooth chain, as these were designed to do in order to make them more viable. If you want an 895 experience, fund a big old growth log, run a LONG bar, no not a paultry 36", use 1/2, 9/16, or 5/8 full chisel chain, hang on and enjoy. They ain't none too slow equipted in such a manner. These are not firewood saws, but rather serious big timber machines from days past when there was such timber readily available.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Macs got a nice surprise today. Full log truck load came today, all red oak and fairly straight. Anywhere from 6" to 40+ "s diameter. I can finally see how the 850 likes a 28" bar buried in a oak log. Running full skip semi and full chisel. Tree's were alive and cut down today. I've been needing this load of log's. Running these old macs and splitting these logs w/ old rehung axes is good for me mentally and physically.

rsting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Remember those old saws usually had low horsepower ratings. I'd bet the 895 would have been around 6.5 to 7 at best. And it may be difficult, unless you disconnect the governor to get a no load rpm. These are not like modern direct drive saws at all. Normal rpm in wood is prolly around 9k to 9.5k in wood and when loaded heavily with a long (60" +) bar, mine opens the reeds and just gains massive rpm screaming at what I would bet is around 12.5k or better. However remember that is at a 2:1 drive ratio so little chain speed. You can make up for the lower chain by running a much larger tooth chain, as these were designed to do in order to make them more viable. If you want an 895 experience, fund a big old growth log, run a LONG bar, no not a paultry 36", use 1/2, 9/16, or 5/8 full chisel chain, hang on and enjoy. They ain't none too slow equipted in such a manner. These are not firewood saws, but rather serious big timber machines from days past when there was such timber readily available.
I've got an 890. How do you think it would it compare to an 895? Id love to be able to set it up with 9/16th, but it will probably have to stay 1/2 pitch. Thats hard enough to find around here.

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr Heimann is a champion!
0ec923b8336ddc1f32ea737148b80528.jpg

Runs great right out the box!

One of The best and finest pack jobs I’ve had.

Can’t wait to get this in some wood.

I got a 24 and a 28” bar..

Sweet

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got an 890. How do you think it would it compare to an 895? Id love to be able to set it up with 9/16th, but it will probably have to stay 1/2 pitch. Thats hard enough to find around here.
1/2" is plenty fine. My 890's seemed a bit less than my 895, though not much and it could just be me. Maybe the porting is different? I dunno, but an 890 is a damn strong saw. Kinda like comparing an sp81 with an 850. It may just come down to an individual's perception.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the 850 cut pretty much like what I've read. Doesn't really matter if it's a 18" log or 3' log, it cuts about the same speed. I was impressed when the tip disappeared the saw still cut the same as when a foot of bar was hanging out.
My 850 fell and bucked a 33" white oak without even slowing down. It wears a 32" bar cause less, is just silly.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was sorta disappointed in my PM800 when I first got it. It sat around with a dull chain for quite a while as other projects (and work) piled up around it which pretty much rendered it a back burner until recently. Pulled it out last week and put a fresh grind on the chain to mess around with it a bit and it fired on the first pull and started on the second. I know guys say that all the time, but it was like I'd just shut it off 5 minutes earlier. At any rate, I was still underwhelmed with it..., until I let that top end loose a little. Put a whole new set o' balls on that saw and a lot more respect for it too. Sitting at 11,900 right now and I'm still waiting for someone to definitively put a number on how far is too far when trying to dial in one of these saws (stock).

Any comments, Al? This is the one I got down by you a few years back. Sure don't want to burn it up, but sure don't want to leave all that extra 82cc Mac just sitting on a shelf, either. I'm lovin' this thing now.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was sorta disappointed in my PM800 when I first got it. It sat around with a dull chain for quite a while as other projects (and work) piled up around it which pretty much rendered it a back burner until recently. Pulled it out last week and put a fresh grind on the chain to mess around with it a bit and it fired on the first pull and started on the second. I know guys say that all the time, but it was like I'd just shut it off 5 minutes earlier. At any rate, I was still underwhelmed with it..., until I let that top end loose a little. Put a whole new set o' balls on that saw and a lot more respect for it too. Sitting at 11,900 right now and I'm still waiting for someone to definitively put a number on how far is too far when trying to dial in one of these saws (stock).

Any comments, Al? This is the one I got down by you a few years back. Sure don't want to burn it up, but sure don't want to leave all that extra 82cc Mac just sitting on a shelf, either. I'm lovin' this thing now.

Dumb question here but what do you mean by let the top end loose?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H screw baby!

That's what I was thinking but when he said loosing I started to over think it like you want to richen it up to make it faster since that would be loosening the screw lol.

I need some more sleep and coffee.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Got rid of a lot of the extra fat in the 'H' screw. It's leaned out quite a bit from what it was and really let some bottled up RPM's (and power) see the light of day now. Still has a four stroke to it before hitting wood, but not the heavy and thick four stroking it had before. From comments elsewhere I'd say I'm fairly close to the edge of what would be considered a little risky by some. But Mac doesn't provide a max RPM number. Service manual just says tune for most power in the cut and not by the sound of the saw. Been hoping to find someone who can provide a valid max top end number instead of 'it depends' or 'just tune it by ear'.

Heavy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, I have seen in a 101b that behind the coil there are two bulks that is the 101AA has it? By the way Al su 6-10 will not make 16,500 rpm the proof of it is that never put a video greetings

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
H screw baby!

I feel the same way w/ mine, still a little rich. Mine just had a new piston about 6-12 tanks back, so I'm hesitant to lean it out till I get at least a few more tanks threw it. That's good to know that the saw really comes alive w/ a little less 4 strokin.