1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is your brain...

View attachment 135719
This is your brain on drugs...speed...

View attachment 135718
FWIW these are a McCulloch 640, 87 cc saw with the Mac carburetor. I could get more RPM but it doesn't like to cut so well when it's screaming it guts out like that.

View attachment 135720
Custom roller nose bar to boot.

View attachment 135721
Mark

Oh You!!

The PM800 doesn’t sound like the PM850: I couldn’t hear it like I could the 850.

The 800 sounded funny @ 8,900 & sounds more fitting @ 11.7k.

It just didn’t sound right.

My what a sweet bar you have there.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to say, I'm torn as to whether to make a serious effort to sell my little Mac 160S. Its a good little saw and I have cut a lot of wood with it. However, I just enjoy using my Echoes more and I don't want the little Mac to go unloved.

The pros: it is one of the last Mini Macs produced and has most of the bugs worked out.

It starts, runs, and cuts just as well as my Echo CS-3000. And, it really screams just like a Mac should!

A few years ago I went through it, cleaned it out, replaced worn parts and refreshed the carb. So, I definitely have put a lot of myself into it. I even have a little Mini Mac junkyard for spares.

It's the only somewhat old school saw in my fleet; as in loud, no antivibe whatsoever, designed before I was born.

I take pride in running and getting good service out of the most maligned saw ever. Haters gonna hate!

The cons are much the same as the pros:

Factory support dried up a long time ago, it will always be dependent on junk saws and old NOS parts.

Every repair is a PITA on these things, one reason I don't run it much.

Like every other old school Mac it is loud, vibrates, and is very heavy for its size.

I guess I just feel bad giving so much attention to the Dolmar and Echoes while the little Mac waits patiently.

I put it on Fleabay for what I think is quite reasonable, $55.00 plus shipping. I suppose if somebody buys it they are going to appreciate it. Otherwise I suppose I'll just get it out for a nostalgia run every so often.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've worked on several later style minis ,I think maybe 140 if I have that number correct.They had a suspension system unlike the first models .In my limited experience they are a lot more user friendly to work on as with the 110-and 120 models .Those have been sworn at by many expect Mark H who has a lot more patience than I have .I want to take big hammer to them .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find the 160 isn't so much difficult to work on as it is you have to take the whole friggin thing apart to do anything to it. And, everything fits just so, get one widget slightly out of alignment and nothing fits.

Just remembered, I have an older Mini in excellent cosmetic condition packed away somewhere. I need to get it out and hang it up in the garage.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put your saw on my watch list, I need to check again to see which models I have already and which I need to complete the line up. If I don't have a 160S I will get back with you and see if we can make a deal.

Mark

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mark. I will make you a good deal on it as I want the saw to find a good home. I have a bunch of Mini Mac parts I can throw in as well.

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
McCulloch aficionados I seek some of your knowledge....
I have recently become the custodian of a 7-10 Automatic - the air box tag reads Model 600052B Serial 17-13746.

Can you help me date the saw and point me to the appropriate IPL and workshop manual for the saw? It is running an SDC carb (Japan) with the embossed numbers 5-76 44A. I am working on the premise that its an SDC 44A carb: please correct me if I am mistaken. Is the "5-76" a date reference?

The saw has been on a display shelf for a while so I will get a wee bit of fuel through the carb so see how/if it works before I go looking a carb kit and fresh fuel lines and filters. I know from cursory inspection that it hasn't got the correct chain brake torsion spring and there is a "bit" of a kink in the brake itself so I plan to replace those parts - ahead of any links to an IPL, can anyone give me the parts numbers for the chain brake and the chain brake spring please? Thanks in advance.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran the little Mac a bit this morning. The noise and vibration does give the impression that it's stronger than it actually is. Maybe this was intentional on McCulloch's part, after all vacuum cleaner makers famously refused to produce quieter models for years on this basis. In any event, the 160 and my much newer Echo CS-3000 are neck and neck when cutting, I really can't tell any difference.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of the three IPL's I have 1970- 1974 and 1976 only the 1976 model shows a brake assembly .Brake band number 91238 ,spring 91239 .It shows both a Tillotson HL and a Walbro SDC 58 .Keep in mind the carb might have been changed as well as the brake assembly .

Teemore

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Of the three IPL's I have 1970- 1974 and 1976 only the 1976 model shows a brake assembly .Brake band number 91238 ,spring 91239 .It shows both a Tillotson HL and a Walbro SDC 58 .Keep in mind the carb might have been changed as well as the brake assembly .
Thank you - I agree: I think it likely that a few bits have been changed over time. Now that I have access to the IPL (Thank you to Pogo InTheWoods) I'll take time to go through and see what else is "odd"!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my 700's was missing the brake which didn't bother me .Years later I gathered up the parts and pieces to assemble one .I have no idea what the parts came from ,just that they were McCulloch .There is a lot of parts interchange options with the 10 series saws .

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mac had a habit of using a variety of model numbers and names for essentially the same saw. The names really added up with all the less expensive department store versions and "Pro Mac" versions. How many dozens of names for the Mini Mac and 610/650 series were there?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my 700's was missing the brake which didn't bother me .Years later I gathered up the parts and pieces to assemble one .I have no idea what the parts came from ,just that they were McCulloch .There is a lot of parts interchange options with the 10 series saws .

Been looking at pics of them, seems like the 10-10 was the Father Abraham of the line. Didn't Mac actually catalog the 10-10 right up to the final bankruptcy, as Homie did with the SXL?