High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes exactly, it’s in a spray can and you let it flash then top coat. When I was resorting my car,( I was using the corner of a body shop) he used it an cars and trucks it match the textured finish the factory puts on the lower rocker panels to help with rock chips.

As a side note I have noticed that most of the factory black textured parts have had flaws in them under the factory paint, I am starting to think that Mcculloch used the textured to cover casting flaws, most of the yellow parts looked higher quality...just an observation
Shults rocker panel guard is from way back when... looks just like it. Must be top coated.

On some parts the black paint shows casting fishers if it is the smooth coating.

This sp70 has the textured air box cover, outside only. The over-spray inside looks like Rino bed liner spatter. A clearly defined parting line across the inside of the cover. It would look much better wet sanded and high gloss black.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE="PogoInTheWoods, post: 668402, member: .

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McCulloch-Parts-Service-Repair-Manuals/Gas_Powered_Chain_Saws/

Lots of folks would say there's not a lot of gains to be realized in what are already inherently good designs among the 10 series saws.
:)[/QUOTE]
I ain't lots of folks, just me.

Did some homework...
landed right where I need to be in McCULLOCH Land. This is the end of the road for the open muffler SP70. 700PM took over. The 7-10 is a smaller bore if I'm correct. Found no specs on strokes in these models. Assuming they remained the same.
Fuel changed right then so I'd bet things went south in the combustion chamber when these other change came along.
This should be a two inch bore with thin rings. That makes things real easy for rings. More study may result in a piston update.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 20 micron lapping paper you sent me worked great on that PM8200 piston. Patience was key along with some WD-40 as a wetting agent. Don't think I'd want to go any more abrasive than that, tho. Will probably run a lot longer this time around than it originally did with all the excess sealant floating around the bottom end gumming everything up in the first place!

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shults rocker panel guard is from way back when... looks just like it. Must be top coated.

On some parts the black paint shows casting fishers if it is the smooth coating.

This sp70 has the textured air box cover, outside only. The over-spray inside looks like Rino bed liner spatter. A clearly defined parting line across the inside of the cover. It would look much better wet sanded and high gloss black.
Yep, similar product I am sure, I got mine from Napa. I do like the original textured look, I like them all thou, all yellow all black and a mix of both...and the red and blue 101b colors oh ya and...chrome!!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 20 micron lapping paper you sent me worked great on that PM8200 piston.
That stuff is good for a lot of things .Fact I have a Case carbon steel knife I hit a lick every so often using the paper like a razor strop .You could shave with the large blade .Alas I'm going to retire in a few months then I don't know where my supply will come from .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this sp 70 that might appear to be FUBAR .Personally I wouldn't get too exited about it .Put the parts in a box if it's nonrepairable and sooner or later ,when you least expect it the parts will appear like magic .Traveled that road many a time on many things

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob Johnson has the 85239 70 cc pistons for $46, I think he has cylinders for $70??

I acquired a clean looking SP70 that was badly scored, cylinder and piston were shot. I fixed it up with a NOS cylinder and piston and it became a very impressive 70cc saw.

Mark

P.S. I do have some replacement sawdust screens, they have round holes rather than the square openings of the original. PM for details if you're interested.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man I can't believe what these SP125's are bringing on the bay.
Last one 1025.00 and you get a saw that has a bent full wrap, wrong screws
on bottom of full wrap with missing inserts, no plug cover, bottom of fan
housing corroded with a piece missing. The one that sold prior to this one
went for 945.00 and didn't even run. Unreal. I'm keeping the rest of mine.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree Lee, it has gotten crazy! And a perfect one may or may not sell for more! The price of parts has gone crazy too!!

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man I can't believe what these SP125's are bringing on the bay.
Last one 1025.00 and you get a saw that has a bent full wrap, wrong screws
on bottom of full wrap with missing inserts, no plug cover, bottom of fan
housing corroded with a piece missing. The one that sold prior to this one
went for 945.00 and didn't even run. Unreal. I'm keeping the rest of mine.

I agree Lee, it has gotten crazy! And a perfect one may or may not sell for more! The price of parts has gone crazy too!!

Now you guys know why I was buying all this stuff 20 years ago...

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It has gotten crazy. The sad thing is the buyer doesn't even
know if the saw has a good or bad top end. Surprise surprise.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a McCulloch 35. The 33/35/39 saws had a long run and are pretty interesting saws, lots of optional attachments for them as well.

Mark