Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 157998

Skeans,
This a buddy of mine that did a small logging job up off skyline rd not to far from Scapoose,
Ryan

Nice, we did a bunch of thinning off of skyline above the golf course in the mid 2000’s. I’ve worked all the way into forest park for the metro government before and won’t again personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched some videos on those. Much more sophisticated than anything around here.

The days of change are coming all over the industry, I love hand cutting but the days are coming to the end unless it’s just too steep or big. For an idea over 10 years ago I got broke in falling oversized and poles on steep ground it was tower type ground, but short so you hard to quarter it without breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...AB47930A0676FE622537AB47930A0676FE6&FORM=VIRE

Here is a link to a neat video shot about 20 minutes from me. I went and worked on the yarder, very cool jobsite downhill logging blind over two canyons with rock bluffs and two intermediate supports, the videos or pictures don't do justice for this jobsite.
Ryan

Very cool Ryan - I was teaching a chainsaw class for the U.S. Forest Service at the time when this video was first posted - I showed it in the class.

Needless to say, it didn't inspire most of those guys to want to go into the logging profession.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool Ryan - I was teaching a chainsaw class for the U.S. Forest Service at the time when this video was first posted - I showed it in the class.

Needless to say, it didn't inspire most of those guys to want to go into the logging profession.

Sadly alot of kids and young adults lack the work ethic to make it in the Blue collar world. Its okay to be a sissy these days, I am doing my best as a dad to raise my kids to have a good strong work ethic and if they want something they're going to have to work for it ,too many free handouts these days and easy ways out.
Sorry if I put it bluntly but it's a sad truth.
Ryan

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly alot of kids and young adults lack the work ethic to make it in the Blue collar world. Its okay to be a sissy these days, I am doing my best as a dad to raise my kids to have a good strong work ethic and if they want something they're going to have to work for it ,too many free handouts these days and easy ways out.
Ryan

So true
Second that

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
2:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ryan
Sorry should not be uttered.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always enjoyed the engineering that took place with building and running those old steam donkeys.
I would love to watch a reality show back in those early days, it would actually be real.
Another favorite logging picture are the old rail trestles, the wood involved in building those is crazy.
Ryan

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ryan

I'm with you on that point, but in this particular case it wasn't due to young people being afraid of hard work (these were all young fire fighters), rather the discussion focused on the ricks vs. rewards of logging such steep ground.

I think the hook tender on that job came up with some ingenious rigging concepts.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm actually kinda jealous of the size of timber that's being feld, compared to the stuff I deal with daily. I'd kill for some big timber

Big timber is a lot of fun but a lot more work. You need bigger saws, longer bars, more gear, more chains, and sometimes hydraulic jacks.

I cut some big, big stuff for James Graf in the early 2000's. It was brutal at times but I'd do again in a second.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm with you on that point, but in this particular case it wasn't due to young people being afraid of hard work (these were all young fire fighters), rather the discussion focused on the ricks vs. rewards of logging such steep ground.

I think the hook tender on that job came up with some ingenious rigging concepts.

I hear you JJ, did not mean to get off topic or derail.
Ryan