jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always wondered if those loads ever caught up with bulls on any kind of grade, would be interesting for sure.

A lot of those, they tied off with 1 1/4" to 2" line and a large line brake on the steeper grades. Somewhere I have some good photos of the large line brakes used around the turn of the century.

One I reading about in southwestern Washington had 4000' of 2" line in a haul back system and the line brake had four 4' drums. It was a pretty incredible set-up...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how many days it took these guys to drop the tree using those double bit axes?

Sometimes up to five days, from what my grandpa used to tell me. He worked on a Weyerhaeuser falling crew in the late 30's up to when he joined the Navy for WW2.

He said a layout for a bigger tree could take as long as a full week depending on what they were using and how they were building the layout and then anywhere from
two to five days for the actual felling. There were hand buckers that came in behind the falling crews to cut everything up.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of those, they tied off with 1 1/4" to 2" line and a large line brake on the steeper grades. Somewhere I have some good photos of the large line brakes used around the turn of the century.

One I reading about in southwestern Washington had 4000' of 2" line in a haul back system and the line brake had four 4' drums. It was a pretty incredible set-up...

Thanks for the info, very cool JJ.
Ryan