Talk me out of .404

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve screwed up a few times. Learned that big branches bounce. Never would’ve thought that. I got smacked hard with a several hundred pound branch after it hit the ground. Knocked me flat on my ass. Never had anyone teach me.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once you think you know what you’re doing is when you get in trouble. Had a pretty bad barber chair several years ago. Maple…

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t leave enough escape path once. Yeah. I can see where people read a little then assume they know more than anyone with no real experience. I’m no ace. First to admit it. But I try to be careful and take my time. Tree work isn’t my #1 or 2 job. Just an extra I do here and there. What works with one tree species doesn’t always work with a different one. I take my time now

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting a bit off topic here with guys being a danger to themselves and others. I cut my teeth on chainsaws that ran .404 chain, most was chipper style that those 100cc plus saws ran back then. I had a good bit of woods experience under my belt by the time I was 9 years old working with dad and my uncles, grandfather at times but those heavy old saws could run .404 very well, one soon enough learned about kick back if the chain got pinched. The vintage saws didn`t seem to be as jumpy as the newer high revving saw became but all saws were and are dangerous and just need to be used and approached with care and caution, never ever think you know it all.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Didn’t leave enough escape path once. Yeah. I can see where people read a little then assume they know more than anyone with no real experience. I’m no ace. First to admit it. But I try to be careful and take my time. Tree work isn’t my #1 or 2 job. Just an extra I do here and there. What works with one tree species doesn’t always work with a different one. I take my time now

No one ever knows it all, sometimes being stupid makes you smart if you're lucky enough to survive it.

I've had some close ones...real close...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one ever knows it all, sometimes being stupid makes you smart if you're lucky enough to survive it.

I've had some close ones...real close...
I’ll bet you have. You’ve cut more than I. More than most on this forum. Basically the point I’m getting at here. You learn from experience. Not so much from reading or watching videos. I have picked up a tip or two. West coast faller on as actually gave me some interesting wedging points. Dudes crazy but he isn’t stupid

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll bet you have. You’ve cut more than I. More than most on this forum. Basically the point I’m getting at here. You learn from experience. Not so much from reading or watching videos. I have picked up a tip or two. West coast faller on as actually gave me some interesting wedging points. Dudes crazy but he isn’t stupid

I agree...

So how about .404 chain

Lol.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read some of you guys can run a saw half a day or day's cutting without needing to sharpen and that's with 3/8 chain... Yeah ya don't need .404 about all it would do is add weight and we've seen the arguments over grams.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've read some of you guys can run a saw half a day or day's cutting without needing to sharpen and that's with 3/8 chain... Yeah ya don't need .404 about all it would do is add weight and we've seen the arguments over grams.

Oh christ...not the weight thing again..:lol:

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna doesn't list a .404" chain option for the 395 xp. Probably a reason for that.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
x2 395 i own come with 3/8. Still on its original rim, shelf queens lol.
3120 comes with .404 and I converted to 3/8 and still have the .404 rim that come with it.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This thread made me make this video and then I couldn’t find this thread until now.
This is the same chain Stihl square skip .404 .063 gauge. think you guys run lighter gauge chain in .404?
Skip sucks on short bars it's lacking is obvious if ya used to dialed in full comp IMHO.
I'm just farting about giving my old 95cc Canadien a run timber is our native Cypress Pine on the janka rating its as hard as White Oak, the bark is nasty goes almost like petrified wood lol

Last edited: