Strange find inside a ms390!!!!!

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
1:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Old pictures.
A Stihl said they reduced the number of parts and swapped semi-pro saws from white to black handles.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
There is only one of two ways that piece of sheet metal got into that cylinder. 1) Somebody pulled the muffler and put that into the combustion chamber through the muffler port as a piston stop or, 2) the baffle from the muffler broke and it slid into the cylinder during transport, carrying, jostling, etc. between runs. I vote #2. Saw owner probably could not figure out why his saw wouldn't crank over any more and just got rid of it!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry I just seen this....no I have been busy, and I have not rebuilt a saw for a few months...I have been doing a some Chains for a few guys but that’s it....

I was mainly just wanting to post these pics because it’s the strangest thing I have seen to date....and I have seen some really funny/crazy things with these saws!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is only one of two ways that piece of sheet metal got into that cylinder. 1) Somebody pulled the muffler and put that into the combustion chamber through the muffler port as a piston stop or, 2) the baffle from the muffler broke and it slid into the cylinder during transport, carrying, jostling, etc. between runs. I vote #2. Saw owner probably could not figure out why his saw wouldn't crank over any more and just got rid of it!
I agree with the fact that when this saw stopped running the owner/Stihl shop just threw it in the dead pile....I know this because I got this saw in a load that filled the back of my truck....I am not kidding when I say last year at this time I had 6-10 saws for sale at any given time....my addiction was at its highest, LOL...

The one thing I would like to know with this particular saws is HOW long did this saw run before that piece dislodged....you can tell by the piston and the saws overall appearance that she seem some good use.....

On a side note when I stepped up and started buying non-runners by the truck load, I learned ALOT about dealers.....some truly do lie to customers, just to sell them a saw....I can’t even remember how many saws I have gotten that only needed a carb, pull-cord fixed, etc....I love getting a load of saws, and going threw them and finding those easy fixes.....usually by the time I sold 3-4 saws all the rest is profit.....just a fun way to make some extra money in the winter or when a guy can’t do much else!!!