Strange find inside a ms390!!!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys I have been really busy lately and haven’t been able to rebuild any saws....I have had a ms390 that is next in line and it’s been on the bench awhile now....

I have found many funny and strange things in saws as many of you guys have...this one ranks at the top of the list for me....

The pictures will speak for themselves....I just wish there was a way to find out how long this saw ran like this....the piece of metal was definitely “stuck” to the top of the piston for awhile.....I got this saw in a truck load of other dead saws, so I have no back round in the saw itself....

Anyway what do you guys think....

E6085DD9-F8AB-41DF-8D8F-7B7CFB1B8A99.jpeg 5CDDDB26-DD5E-4EE2-92A2-44C82C7CD352.jpeg 48823326-59F9-4319-BB67-B2A4709F2874.jpeg

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did that come off the saw itself or is it foreign

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did that come off the saw itself or is it foreign
It was actually in the engine.....

What I can’t understand is was it on top of the piston for a long time, or was it somewere else and just “popped” loose???

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Was the spark plug gap closed?
I can’t see it ever running that way.
For what it’s worth, HL Supply has just received shipment of the pop-up pistons designed for this saw.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting. Was the spark plug gap closed?
I can’t see it ever running that way.
For what it’s worth, HL Supply has just received shipment of the pop-up pistons designed for this saw.
I will look when I get home....all I know is that slug was actually inside the engine when I cracked it open...I can’t remember where I found it, but when I seen the outline of it in the top of the piston it was shocking....I don’t know if the slug as attached somewere and caramel loose or what....It could have been in stuck in the exhaust port and just eventually worked its way loose??

I actually torn this saw down, and took these pics a month or so ago......I got busy since then so it has just been waiting to come back to life...

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could that be the stamped rectangular portion of the muffler that serves to cap the baffle?

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thinks it’s thicker metal, but I will look when I get home.....I haven’t looked at it since I tore it down awhile back....I just seen it on the bench last night and thought to myself, I need to get it done, lol

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm following this one. I had a 390 back in the summer which I picked up for next to nothing. I messed with it within my interest level, and because I couldn't solve its issues and had purchased it so cheap, I eBay'd it as a parts saw with known issues.

Long story short, its symptoms included a metallic clatter when running, and would only run at all on choke. Like I said, it just wasn't interesting enough to me since I had pro saws in every size range I could want by then. I have a video with it running somewhere here...

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was actually in the engine.....

What I can’t understand is was it on top of the piston for a long time, or was it somewere else and just “popped” loose???
That’s definitely interesting for sure. I’ve never been inside one of those saws but it doesn’t look like it’s part of it

BrokenSVT

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a brigs mower lol. and that like a 391 or something with that fancy spring av action.

Haha yep, I think you're right. Must've been a 391. I didn't keep it long enough to read the name plate.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys I have been really busy lately and haven’t been able to rebuild any saws....I have had a ms390 that is next in line and it’s been on the bench awhile now....

I have found many funny and strange things in saws as many of you guys have...this one ranks at the top of the list for me....

The pictures will speak for themselves....I just wish there was a way to find out how long this saw ran like this....the piece of metal was definitely “stuck” to the top of the piston for awhile.....I got this saw in a truck load of other dead saws, so I have no back round in the saw itself....

Anyway what do you guys think....

View attachment 97094 View attachment 97096 View attachment 97097
Redneck popup?