Stihl side tensioners - Asian Flavor

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have read several complaints about the Asian chain adjusters for the 066 kit saws. I also have used them from HL and @Definitive Dave before with no issue. I put my "Jim Zing" 066 together and the adjuster seemed to be gritty but OK. Test run was short lived, situation fixed, and back to test running. I realized the adjuster would go back but not forward. Hmmm.. I happened to have another kit saw (MS360) there that the adjuster worked super smooth on so I popped it apart. I then realized I have an OEM 036 there and apart it came. I like to KNOW what causes the issues as opposed to just "chuck it in the f&*k it bucket" and move on.

Through some playing around what I found was the gears were not meshing deep enough to maintain engagement causing a gear bind. Turning one way causes the gears to pull into each other and the opposite direction pushes apart.

What I found was very interesting. I apologize I forgot to get pictures but I took dimensions of the "big gear" and the pinion.

OEM: 0.600" & 0.328"
Farmer Tech #1: 0.642" & 0.312"
Farmer Tech #2: 0.626" # 0.312"

Adjuster #2 is the one that does not work and it's pretty clear why, the main gear is undersized. 0.016" is probably most of the engagement there is on these things. Clearly the Asian parts have a bit different gear ratio than the OEM. I'm OK with it if it will work.

Next question and this is for @Gentleman mainly: The pictures on the HL site show a shiny finish on the adjuster kit. The two adjusters that come in the saw kits have a matte black / black oxide finish. Are these just differences in stock photos or are the stand alone adjusters from a different vendor or of a different grade than the kit components?

I'm not griping about these kit saws. They are not 100% bolt together and go.. I knew that. They are fun and working through these issues is part of the fun for me at least. I also am curious on these adjusters as the local crews I help maintain equipment for, destroy plenty of these adjusters. I find most of the time a "groundie" will try to replace a chain with out backing the adjuster off and tries to force the bar on with the bar nuts and bends the left handed screw/pinion OR they try to adjust bar tension with out loosening the bar nuts. Either way I see these torn up often and would like to keep a few on hand. I do NOT want to keep some on hand if something has changed or if they are VERY hit or miss.

Constructive feed back appreciated. If you've had 3 out of the bag be junk... say it. If you have used 10 and only 1 bad.. let me know. I'm curious.

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only way to have a shiny appearance on the gears is to do a process to them after heat treat. Sounds like your seeing a after heat treat process. Maybe things are growing a bit much.

I have not ran any HL AM ones on Stihl saws. I have on a Husky 395 and it’s worked well.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one on my kit saw was very crunchy at first. I packed grease all around under the cover and ran it back and forth a bunch of times with my cordless drill. Made a huge difference, and seems to work better every time i use it, which is admittedly not much, so i cant speak for longevity.

Gentleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next question and this is for @Gentleman mainly: The pictures on the HL site show a shiny finish on the adjuster kit. The two adjusters that come in the saw kits have a matte black / black oxide finish. Are these just differences in stock photos or are the stand alone adjusters from a different vendor or of a different grade than the kit components?
We'll get some in and they look like the photo and next time totally different. As long as they work well.

Which saw is it for? We can update the photo.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used 5 or 6 of the AM adjusters without issue. They do look and feel flimsy though.No longevity report yet. They've all felt crunchy and a few runs back and forth does them good.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only way to have a shiny appearance on the gears is to do a process to them after heat treat. Sounds like your seeing a after heat treat process. Maybe things are growing a bit much.

I have not ran any HL AM ones on Stihl saws. I have on a Husky 395 and it’s worked well.

Well given that the small gear is consistent on the two I have, I'd say they are good. The variance in the bigger gear. The intersting thing is the difference in the AM gears as opposed to the OEM. That difference means it's a different gear ratio. Will anyone ever notice adjusting a saw chain? Heck no. I'm surprised that they would go through the hassle to redesign them as opposed to just scanning in a known and replicating them.

The one on my kit saw was very crunchy at first. I packed grease all around under the cover and ran it back and forth a bunch of times with my cordless drill. Made a huge difference, and seems to work better every time i use it, which is admittedly not much, so i cant speak for longevity.

Normally that's what I do. I promise this one was packed too.

We'll get some in and they look like the photo and next time totally different. As long as they work well.

Which saw is it for? We can update the photo.

I don't think it warrants any change on the web page ( http://www.hlsproparts.com/Stihl-chain-adjuster-assembly-p/h55381.htm ).. I was just curious. For now I'm good and next order I'll add some to it. Just more of the fun of working through AM parts variations. I'll post some pictures of what's on the bench if I have a few minutes tonight to get to the shop.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My local dealers, I'd wager would want $20-25 US for those bits. As sad as it is, I am forced to order all of my parts in; Husky, Stihl, Echo, etc if I want to tinker on small equipment. The Raleigh, Durham, Chapel-Hill area of NC is a large area with lots of demand for OPE. The dealers here all charge retail + 10-20%. One day in a rush I needed an 84DL loop of chain. Stop in and get a loop of 33RS and put it on my company's charge account as it was a cutting job for the company. I about cussed out loud when the invoice was $41.xx

Several other experiences locally have forced my hand to use reputable dealers even if it means everything is mail order. Funny thing is the GREAT dealers I deal with on the regular, generally get me parts faster to my door than I can order them local, then have to go back and pick the parts up 7-10 days later.

Bruce, Dave, Steve, etc that I buy from.. that's why. They treat me fair, I give them money.

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local dealers, I'd wager would want $20-25 US for those bits. As sad as it is, I am forced to order all of my parts in; Husky, Stihl, Echo, etc if I want to tinker on small equipment. The Raleigh, Durham, Chapel-Hill area of NC is a large area with lots of demand for OPE. The dealers here all charge retail + 10-20%. One day in a rush I needed an 84DL loop of chain. Stop in and get a loop of 33RS and put it on my company's charge account as it was a cutting job for the company. I about cussed out loud when the invoice was $41.xx

Several other experiences locally have forced my hand to use reputable dealers even if it means everything is mail order. Funny thing is the GREAT dealers I deal with on the regular, generally get me parts faster to my door than I can order them local, then have to go back and pick the parts up 7-10 days later.

Bruce, Dave, Steve, etc that I buy from.. that's why. They treat me fair, I give them money.

Well......
That sounds all too familiar to me......
Here in Finland we have same situation if buying local, double pricing & double visits to the dealer.....
And some oem parts are not even imported, that is the reason why i'm ordering from Germany.
RV

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeppers. I have a husky/stihl dealer (yes both in one building ) 5 miles from my house amd i hardly ever go in there. Guy tried chargin me $28 for a stens 028 air filter. No thanks.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeppers. I have a husky/stihl dealer (yes both in one building ) 5 miles from my house amd i hardly ever go in there. Guy tried chargin me $28 for a stens 028 air filter. No thanks.
Every dealer around me carries Echo/Stihl/Husky under one roof. They are all equally shady.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Middle is the one that does not worky. Close but not close enough.
d16dd04f0a1f47625f1bf04cb8445489.jpg
8e7a4b7c7416b11be5d73fce89edde37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bit of a derail on chain adjusters, but still on parts and cost, the local stihl dealer charges £7 for a NGK plug when if you go around the corner to a auto factor, (car spare parts) you can get them £2:30

His markup is Just unreal.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I recall correctly @afleetcommand was making some bushings in one of his vidja's for the 660 kits. Maybe Walt can chime in.
I only messed with the one in my kit and can report that it works OK. I did not have a lot of faith and greased the heck out of it during installation.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used 5 or 6 of the AM adjusters without issue. They do look and feel flimsy though.No longevity report yet. They've all felt crunchy and a few runs back and forth does them good.

I agree, the metal doesn't "feel" quite right, not sure how to explain that though.