Stihl Oiling Issues

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I new it had to happen. And yes it did. My trusty Stihl 025 has had intermittent oiling issues. So I went online and ordered a high volume pump from Amazon. For $8.96 I received the oil pump,the worm gear to drive the pump, a oil line and the impulse line. Anyway with the new pump installed it seemed to take a long time for the oil to reach the bar.Once it got there I had a good supply onto the bar.So now today with intentions to use the saw, I decided to make sure it was oiling. I was 100% wrong. Not a drop. Pulled the bar off and started the saw. Nothing.Pulled the clutch bearing, washer, bla bla, bla.From what I could tell the original stihl worm drive gear was worn to the point that the oil pump teeth were not meshing far enough into the gear to facilitate spinning the pump. So we implemented plan "B" I used the new worm gear however I reused the old metal piece that engages with the clutch.The metal piece that came with the new gear was to long and scraping the casing. Well now all assembled except the B/C. Started the saw. OPEC would be proud of me. Anyway as of now the saw is oiling the way that it should. Ken

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well sounds like you fixed it good job now cut some wood.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will NEVER buy Stihl parts from amazon EVER again.Going to cut some limbs. Started to cut the oak limbs and chain looked dry so into the garage we go.Removed all the bar and chain, hardware ext. Oil pump drive gear teeth are stripped. They took out the worm drive gear. Am I pizzed?So first thing in the morning I will head to my Stihl dealer and order the high volume oil pump, the worm drive gear, new clutch springs.Oil appeared to be coming around the top of the pump.The clutch area was soaked.I guess that you get what you pay for.It's not like I don't have another saw however, this saw is well balanced and fits my hand just right. Anyway it is out of action for a few days.Sorry to ramble but I needed to vent.Ken

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update!Arrived at my friendly Stihl dealer and handed him my shopping list.He had the high volume oil pump in stock.$37.11. I had other parts ordered for this saw.New starter pawl and spring,exhaust gasket. Anyway the new worm gear,spring,and clip should be here this Friday. Anyway the new oil pump is working great. The new starter paw made a huge improvement.
I should mention that this saw works great for me.The reason? I have had two neck surgeries to deal with degenerated discs in my neck. The cervical area. Anyway I have limited feelings along with muscle loss in my right hand and arm.We figured it out to be approximately 20% loss in feeling and strength. That is why I like the 025.It is about 3 pounds lighter than my Husky 51. Believe me I can notice the difference.So this is one of the reasons that I am getting it up to par.My body is going down the tube however, my saws are in better condition than I am.Ken

Last edited:

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah there a mixed bag.:risas3:

Some are just downright cheap, they yammer and go off about the price of OEM Stihl parts. For my own use and most of the people I repair saws for we will pay the price and lose no sleep over it. The ones that are too cheap to pay for OEM take the risk of premature failure, some make out ok, some not.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked this trio up for $35. , the 025 clutch side was almost destroyed from an AM clutch coming apart but I saved it with a good deal of JB Weld rebuild and a new OEM oil pump, drive and clutch.

recently updated 246.jpg

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This dirty lil fella just needed to be cleaned up, new recoil and a new OEM clutch.

IMG_7049.JPG

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How can some people let there equipment go like this really pizzes me off.I take good care of my equipment.From the pictures it looks like just plane laziness.If someone bring me a saw similar to the picture I will add a substantial cost just to clean it.The funny thing about the 025 is that it is very easy to work on.To me anyway. Parts: yes I have tried the cheap part route. As a matter of fact the carburetor on the 025, is a $13 item and it runs great.However I will not bite on this for something like an oil pump. Something substantial that is required for proper operation.Ken

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used to share your 025 love.

Once you go 026, you won’t look back though.

Seems like you’ve caught the bug to tinker with them. The pro style saws allow much more mods with a lot less headaches.

And yes, AM parts are tempting. But you get what you pay for, and they cost more time/$ in the end almost always.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Seems like you’ve caught the bug to tinker with them. The pro style saws allow much more mods with a lot less headaches.

And yes, AM parts are tempting. But you get what you pay for, and they cost more time/$ in the end almost always.

DR, Tes I have worked on the 026. many times in the past. From piston replacement to fuel lines. I simply do not like the design.The starter/choke lever is cheap plastic and prone to problems.The air filter housing is not to my liking.The start select rod that fits in the plastic housing is prone to wear causing issues. I simply do not care for this saw. Yes performance can be obtained with good success if knowledgeable. Prior to this I was on the 028 band wagon.Bought a new one back in 85. I gave it to a fire department in 2005 still in perfect working order.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sorry if you took me wrong.

By all means, enjoy your 025’s. They are nice and light and do run well with muff mods.

I personally find the 026 easier to work on and more durable, but the choke is terrible, as you mentioned.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get those neglected 025`s given to me often for free or for payment for fixing another saw, I kept 2 or 3 but usually let them go cheap like. I have the 026 bug one could say, been through over 50 of them, 8 - 10 seem to stick around while others come and go. Once one knows all the oddities of a particular model there is no challenge that cannot be repaired or overcome.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m sorry if you took me wrong.

By all means, enjoy your 025’s. They are nice and light and do run well with muff mods.

I personally find the 026 easier to work on and more durable, but the choke is terrible, as you mentioned.

DR,I sir not take it the wrong way.Not at all.This 025 has had a weight reduction within the internal confines of the "muffler".Anyway for what it is it runs like it is using nitro. The acceleration is virtually instantaneous. I have never had a Stihl saw with this much enthusiasm. I plan to use this for smaller chores.I will run my 51 Husky for the more challenging chores.Thanks for the replies, Ken

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I agree, the 026 is a much better saw, the 025 is a fine saw, but modding is difficult and limited, I like bar mount as well. I understand deals and value, and if your happy with a saw that’s great.