drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shaun knows his stuff. I have tried to do this repair and I have failed.

Not only is the welding difficult, the drilling, facing and taping are challenging as well. One needs a jig to keep all 3 steps above in the exact same orientation.

There is an oversized thread repair kit made by Stanley that works. It’s available on Amazon for around $25. It comes with three sleeves and the open area is much bigger than any timesert or coil. I have fixed prior bad repairs with this sleeve, but again, one has to have the angle correct or the plug base won’t seal.

Search for “Sav-A-Thread” in M14.

Last edited:
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The cylinder he has was attempted repair with one of the kits, it failed miserably. It almost looks like the area that the plug threads into is on the thinner side. There aren’t much in the way of threads to secure the plug. Hopefully someone can help OP out as the rest of the cylinder is in damn good shape.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gus is not taking on any work at all they're buried. :(

He did give me the number of a place he said on Woodlane Road across town, gave me the number, said call them and then he hung up. I never even said who was calling. Kinda expected that this time of year. I'll go visit him one day for lunch. He's swamped.
Joey sold his suit case welder and no long works for Lockeed Martin. Third guy is dead.
Guess I'm calling that number or using this new mix I thought up of panel bond and spinny thing dust on this case. I will try @rocketnorton s insert for a stripped plug hole jug in my box of hurt stuffs.

You must have some local shops with knowledgeable welders up there @Lone Wolf

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He did give me the number of a place he said on Woodlane Road across town, gave me the number, said call them and then he hung up. I never even said who was calling. Kinda expected that this time of year. I'll go visit him one day for lunch. He's swamped.
Joey sold his suit case welder and no long works for Lockeed Martin. Third guy is dead.
Guess I'm calling that number or using this new mix I thought up of panel bond and spinny thing dust on this case. I will try @rocketnorton s insert for a stripped plug hole jug in my box of hurt stuffs.

What do you needed fixed on the case? I fix them all the time and I can turn stuff around in less than an week if necessary. 1-2 weeks normally.

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fix more 461’s than anything else now followed closely by 661’s, it used to be 064/066 cylinders.

OK Shaun Carr PM ed me back he is going to repair it. Thanks my friend.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What do you needed fixed on the case? I fix them all the time and I can turn stuff around in less than an week if necessary. 1-2 weeks normally.
A complete 084 case. The....I'll get a pic.

Its not getting mailed anywhere but to the new owner. I appreciate the offer Shawn. If it was a project your second to Gus in line now for mag repairs. He is only slow in the dead of winter. Will not take my money for mag or aluminum repairs, ever. Cool guy. Been using him for forty plus years.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure how many on here use inserts but there are more wider,thicker walled inserts available than the regular offerings found at Napa and the like. Fastenall up here has a wider variety and I suspect McMaster Carr does as well.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure how many on here use inserts but there are more wider,thicker walled inserts available than the regular offerings found at Napa and the like. Fastenall up here has a wider variety and I suspect McMaster Carr does as well.
If its thicker wouldn't that mean the same threading tool would not work. I am pretty sure the tool I bought was from NAPA.