Stihl Dealer prices

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a local dealer tell me if their orders are not large enough, stihl charges them extra shipping.

But IMO, there is no rhyme nor reason. In one store the bars were more expensive than another store, but the chains were less, so go figure!

My biggest compliant is that they are all just focused on lawn mower sales, and chainsaws are just a small side line they are not too concerned about.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My biggest compliant is that they are all just focused on lawn mower sales, and chainsaws are just a small side line they are not too concerned about.

Preach brother preach!!

We don’t have enough wood cutting in my area to have any dedicated saw shops. It’s mostly “I’m a Stihl dealer because everybody sells them and I don’t want to be the odd duck with out”. If my $20k zero turn had a bad hydro, it would be fixed in no time. But a bad saw, I’ll just sell you a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Mike, blame the landscapers for buying all those trimmers and back packs. :)

Years ago, you'd go to the mower shop for mowers and go to the saw shop for saws. Full line dealers would have saws of some kind, usually Mac or Homelite. But like today, 9 out of 10 of those dealers lacked the focus for serious saw users.

Husky and Stihl had pretty thin catelogs back then, cause they only sold saws. When they introduced trimmers, neither company even made their own, as they both had them private labeled from japan. (Husky's by Maruyama, and I don't remember who did the Stihls). They both sell a lot of other products now, which probably bugs some guys who wish they'd just do saws. But look at what happened to all of those companies that never got beyond saws. Most recently Jonsered which had all the resources in the world but still failed.

It's hard for saws to compete for attention in most stores with $20,000 Z's or $50,000-$100,000 AG tractors, but that's where they landed. Some of those big dealers could probably do a nice amount of saw business if someone at those shops picked up the ball and ran with it. Some do, but most don't.

But @Homemade makes a key point in that not every dealer is in an area that even has the potential to do decent numbers on the saw side. You can't expect them to get all geared up on the pro stuff if that market really isn't there. I'm lucky in that I live in a hardwood forest, and we have every category of the saw market; logging, arborists, firewood, and the occasional user from the city that probably shouldn't even own a chainsaw. But even in this area, most dealers really don't get it on the saw side. They are exactly what you guys are compaining about; mower dealers who have "some saws over there on the back wall."

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^That post makes so much sense to so many people in so many countries. I remember years back when mower shops were for mowers.....saw shops for saws. It's all changed nowadays.

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't needed much service from my Stihl dealer, but they do pay attention when I walk in the door. This is a branch of billionaire Jimmy Pattison's 17 store John Deere operation, and my little MS 170 doesn't compare to my renter's 2 combines, 5 tractors, etc.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are no Husqvarna dealers in this area but within 20 miles of me must be a half dozen Stihl dealers .Believe me they are not all the same .The one I deal with is 14 miles away and orders parts twice weekly from Cincinnati so there is not much of a wait for same .One dealer is 2 miles away and I doubt seriously I ever grace his door again .

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
4:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't needed much service from my Stihl dealer, but they do pay attention when I walk in the door. This is a branch of billionaire Jimmy Pattison's 17 store John Deere operation, and my little MS 170 doesn't compare to my renter's 2 combines, 5 tractors, etc.
They should fix your 170 for free as your a loyal John Deere customer :)

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here is a bit more to the story. I eventually ordered the 661 clutch bearing from the cheaper of the 2 Stihl dealers (larger dealer). We went back and forth a few times. Ordered it 2.5 wks ago. 9512 933 2382. I called again yesterday and they claim he cant find a clutch bearing (for a saw that is still in production). I told him to forget it and I will find it somewhere else.
Moral to the story is, maybe cheaper isn't always a better deal.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A clutch bearing or a drum bearing ?? , maybe you're confusing them .

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So here is a bit more to the story. I eventually ordered the 661 clutch bearing from the cheaper of the 2 Stihl dealers (larger dealer). We went back and forth a few times. Ordered it 2.5 wks ago. 9512 933 2382. I called again yesterday and they claim he cant find a clutch bearing (for a saw that is still in production). I told him to forget it and I will find it somewhere else.
Moral to the story is, maybe cheaper isn't always a better deal.

Some times parts go on back order and it can take weeks or a month to get them. Even for new saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times parts go on back order and it can take weeks or a month to get them. Even for new saws.

Sometimes even more for new saws as the inventory pipeline has to get filled then stabilized to where they know how many of a given part they need to have on hand.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Clutch drum roller bearing. We where on the same page for the bearing and part #.