Stihl Dealer prices

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I commonly deal with a Stihl dealer that has treated me well. I had to call another because they carry another product that I needed. So I threw my part #s at them and I was only looking for 4 parts today and they where 10.00 cheaper total list. How can 2 different dealers 10 min apart be that far off in prices? I like to be loyal, but I like money also. Can I tell me normal dealer about the price differences and request they work on matching there competition?

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I order parts every other day from them. It seems I am there twice a wk.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've "caught" my dealer gouging me on small parts. If I buy a screw, I think they charge me for a pack of 5, then put 4 back on their shelf to sell to some other sap. (I even give them the part numbers) I don't think they want to fool around with little stuff. They treat me well on bigger ticket items. Where Y'all at?

cre73

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just comparing prices and part numbers at two different "dealers" last week. I requested why the price was so different between the two places. the dealer I usually won't deal with started rambling on about his being a higher grade part then the other place. I pointed out that it was the exact same part# but he still said his was a better grade part since he was a service center also. I called BS and went back and got the part from the BigR store.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
2:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
In Germany there are 2 different types of Stihl dealers.
The regular dealers get a normal discount.
Then you can sign a contract to be a premium Stihl dealer called "Stihl Dienst" and you get a higher discount but also you agree that you don't sell AM parts or other brand chainsaws.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local dealer sucks. He tried selling me a stens air filter for an 028 for almost $30. Also tried charging me new price for used parts. So as scott said, stihl dealers can basically charge what they want and get away with a lot, though id be willing to bet stihl would be interested in some of this guys business practices. Cheaper and easier for DDave to be my stihl dealer lol.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My closest dealer like to charge shipping for everything, $8 for a set of 362 dual dogs, $3 for a 2 fuel tank vent parts for an 026 and I could go on and on. Stihl prices are high enough without a shipping charge. I'm not dealing with them anymore unless it is in stock. Most of the time they are little more on parts than other dealers.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My closest dealer like to charge shipping for everything, $8 for a set of 362 dual dogs, $3 for a 2 fuel tank vent parts for an 026 and I could go on and on. Stihl prices are high enough without a shipping charge. I'm not dealing with them anymore unless it is in stock. Most of the time they are little more on parts than other dealers.
I had a dealer try that once. Told him never mind I drive 10 minutes and get the part in stock. It was a depth gauge FFS.

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Husqvarna dealers have different levels as well, my Platinum dealer gets better prices, but is 45 min away and takes longer to order for me, so usually i go local anD pay a few dollars more and get parts in 2 to 3 days, time is money. Guessing Stihl is the same.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have 5 Stihl dealers within 15min of my. All have there ups and downs. Some have great knowledgeable parts guys and mechanics, but are expensive, the next are dumb as a box of rocks but if you give them a part number, they are usually cheaper.

How does the saying go...service can be cheap, fast, or good. You can pick two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lotta of close guesses here, but nobody really nailed it, so here's how it works.

All parts have a MSRP of course. They are SUGGESTED list price. Most dealers like us stick to those prices. Most dealers have the option in their store's business software to add a multiplier to every part they sell. 10%, 15%, 25%, whatever they choose to do. They'll come up with various reasons for doing this if challenged, but it is their choice to do that if they want. So, in most cases where you see one shop charging more than another this is what's going on. The guy just hits a key on the computer and every part in inventory goes up 15%.

Shipping costs: The way we do it is the only time we will add an incoming freight charge is when it is a special order that was generated specifically for that customer. Some dealers add freight to every over the counter parts sale; even for parts sitting on the shelf. Can you imagine doing that 50 times on an order that may not have even had a freight charge to the dealer? That's just a way to bang customers, and it's awful hard to defend something like that. You know how you get a phone bill or something and it has all those little fees that you don't even understand? Same thing with some of the ways dealers will add fees.

Husky and Stihl have different dealer policies that set price and freight discounts. Husky's is quite a bit more dealer friendly than Stihl's. Actual parts price discount for Husky is determined by a pre-season booking order. It has nothing to do with a dealer's wholegoods volume. (Not sure how Stihl does that.) We do a LOT of parts, so we get the best deal they offer. Participating in the program allows Husky dealers to get free shipping on most in-season parts orders for any order that totals $100. This is one of the best programs out there. Stihl makes you buy a lot more for free freight. But the big difference is that Husky allows accessories such as PPE, hand tools, bars and chain, etc to count as parts and it all rides together. Last I knew, Stihl makes you anti up separately for parts and accessories. Not to forget that Stihl bangs their dealers for 1% on every single invoice they cut as a "marketing fee", and you can start to understand why some dealers feel they have costs that need to be recovered somewhere.

Last edited:

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Germany there are 2 different types of Stihl dealers.
The regular dealers get a normal discount.
Then you can sign a contract to be a premium Stihl dealer called "Stihl Dienst" and you get a higher discount but also you agree that you don't sell AM parts or other brand chainsaws.
The dealer I commonly deal with also just become a Husqvarna dealer also. Which honestly makes it nice, because I have both and fix and repair both brands.
I believe the other dealer to have been selling saws for a longer period of time. My hang up is a clutch drive sprocket for a 661. Normal dealer 10.89 other dealer 6.49. Its the same OEM bearing.