Stihl BG 86C Woes

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friend of mine gave me a BG86C blower that has been having issues. It keeps breaking the spring that operates the easy start feature.
The dealer told him that there is an issue with the crank that is causing it to eat springs.

Any input?

Thanks

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea on the crank issue. I have one at work guys were starting like an 90cc saw and bending springs. Can’t remember exactly what I did, either swapped parts from a non c model, or JB welded the pins/pawls to be engaged. I remember the fix was pretty simple once I looked at everything.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank issue is that it uses a bushing instead of a bearing for the wrist pin…. They wear out and damage the piston and cylinder. Only fix is a new crank, p/c. Very poor design on Stihls part. I’m sure what’s happening is the piston is hanging up and breaking the spring.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crank issue is that it uses a bushing instead of a bearing for the wrist pin…. They wear out and damage the piston and cylinder. Only fix is a new crank, p/c. Very poor design on Stihls part. I’m sure what’s happening is the piston is hanging up and breaking the spring.
Is it worth installing new crank, piston, and cylinder? Perhaps aftermarket?

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s expensive!! And no aftermarket that I know of. It would just do the same thing in time… bad design.