Stihl 500i

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somebody please tell me what the deal is with the primer button. They never had them on the carbureted saws and put one on an injected one?

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The primer bulb is there to fill the housing of the fuel pump with fuel. It`s a diaphragm fuel pump just on any other diaphragm carburetor too. It works the same. When the housing of the pump is filled with fuel through pressing the primer bulb, the injector can bring the fuel "faster" or immediately into the crankcase when the starter is pulled. Otherwise without pressing the primer bulb, the diaphragm pump would have to pump through pulling the starter rope.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I wonder if it's really only 6.8bhp, or more, but they're advertising it short to protect MS661 sales (like the Turbo IDI 7.3 diesel vs the old 460 V8)?

That wouldn't be surprising. Even if the hp spec is accurate, I bet a couple mods would have it running right with a 661 at nearly 3 pounds lighter.

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. Otherwise without pressing the primer bulb, the diaphragm pump would have to pump through pulling the starter rope.

Pumping the diaphragm by pulling the starter rope worked for quite a long time prior to this. I am not against it necessarily but why now? When autos went to fuel injection you no longer needed a choke or to “pump” the throttle to start the vehicle. Seems like a step backward on a saw that has the latest technology in fuel delivery and management.

So it’s more of an easy start feature than a necessity?

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
need to push it 10 times every time you want to start the saw
What's the bleed down time? As in, if you shut it off for 10, 20, 30 seconds do you need to re-prime, or will it retain enough pressure for x amount of time to allow a restart?