HELP! Stihl 041 PTO Seal Problem

Bob95065

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 041 Super that I built out of a box of parts I got in a Craigslist offer. The saw ran great then developed an air leak. I put it down for a few months and got a chance to look at it today.

The seal on the clutch side was chewed up and torn. It worked its way out and hit the clutch. I put a new seal in it and it slid in easily. I'm afraid it will do the same thing as the first seal.

I checked ebay and only see rubber seals like the one I installed. I hoped I could find a metal cased seal that would seat securely in the bore.

Do you put sealer on the outside of the seals on a 041? I'm thinking about using Dirko so it doesn't move. I usually don't put anything on the outside of seals when I install them.

Thanks,

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try Dirko on outside of seal but make sure surface is oil free and let it cure before running it
You dont possible have a bar oil leak into crankcase and causing a over pressure in crankcase

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive never worked on the model specifically, but when a seal is that torn up, you need to check the condition of the PTO bearing.

Also need to check that the depths of the bearing and seal are both correct and nothing is rubbing on it. Make sure that there isn’t a washer that was supposed to be over it that you eliminated in error.

Should be easy to inspect the bearing. Make sure there is no play at all. Also, check the piston and cylinder for grey metal residue. I had a saw ruin a new SKF fly side bearing and the entire inside of the saw looked like it had moly lube all over it.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You might want to check the OD on the seal you have.
The IPL calls for a 25mm X 37mmX 7 mm so the OD of the seal (rubber coated) should be 37.20 mm.