Stihl 034 super carb question

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sounds like there's an air leak. It could be loose cylinder bolts, or need a new set of crank seals, or there's a bad connection somewhere between the carb and cylinder.
Yep, I don't have a pressure/vac tester so I'll just do seals and gasket set,impulse ect. And see what happens

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dave sells a decent, cheap carb. I’ve used two on two 036s with good results.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was the original reason for putting a kit in the carb? Is the saw new to you, or did it run ok before the carb kit?

I had an 036 that I couldn’t get to idle right, the only way it would idle well was to increase idle speed until the chain was spinning. After poking around it was the clutch springs that were completely worn out and engaging the clutch too soon. Once the springs were replaced I could increase the idle further and it idled perfect. ( if I actually had a tach this would have been much easier to see)

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$20 for a zama? From who? I asked my local pos dealer and he said $100!
Yes. Pretty much.

The AM ones are made on the same assembly line. In fact, sometimes they say Zama on them. The older ones all did saw Zama, and I mean a year ago. They work better than any other am carb, likely because they are the same.

@Definitive Dave can help you out.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I went through the carb again and I got it to tune but it won't idle for s word. I'm wondering if it's sucking air somewhere? It doesn't want to return to idle and once it does it dies then won't start unless I put it on fast idle. Little bit stumped but I'll have to dig a little bit deeper once I have some more time
Weak pop off pressure Im betting. Try a shim under the metering spring

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, I don't have a pressure/vac tester so I'll just do seals and gasket set,impulse ect. And see what happens
Blank off the exhaust between muffler and exhaust cylinder port and between carb and intake boot with Gorilla tape or rubber gasket material. A fitting in the sparkplug hole with a barb to attach a vinyl hose to a air blow gun and regulate air to about to about 10 to 15 psi. Fill a sink or container with water and dunk the whole saw under and u will find the airleak. I remove the ignition before the bath:)

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a carb from @dustinwilt68 and... It runs and tunes perfect. I'll fart with that other carb someday, I would like to know what's wrong with it.