Stihl 031AV clutch brake?

MS290man

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the clutch brake an option on the 031av? For saws that didn't have the brake why is the safety flag movable / spring loaded? Looking at the parts list it looks like I could use either a regular cover or one with a clutch brake?

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the slot is already on the chain brake flag if you wanted to go to the chain brake side cover..

skoglunc

New OPE Member
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi there, new to the site, and was searching for an answer to my question and came across this thread. I recently picked up a 031 AVE and it did not have the clutch brake style side cover. I found a guy, however, who had some old 031 parts and pieces and he happened to have an 031 side cover WITH the clutch brake. So I cleaned everything up and went to install the new side cover and it doesn't seem to want to go. Is there anything special I need to do to make it work? There is a pin in the side cover that looks like it should go into the body of the saw, and it lines up with a hole, but does not go in. The lever does go up and fits in the slot in the safety bar (not the technical name I'm sure). Any thoughts?