Stihl 028 Fuel Filter placement

willie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 028AV Super (new to me) that I'm trying to get started. So...I took apart the carb, and the fuel
lines....Hmm, the plastic fuel pump film was on the OTHER side of the gasket!
However, after putting the fuel line and filter back into the tank, I noticed that the fuel line is so short that the filter barely sits VERTICALLY in the tank. All my other saws have the fuel lines long enough so the filter is HORIZONTAL in the tank. Is this Stihl thing? Will I starve for fuel and have problems running?

Frogfarmer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It will be fine. Even though they just touch the bottom of the tank they miraculously pull 90+% out of the tank. The 026 has pretty much the same setup for the early saws. The later models got a little larger hole in the tank and a different line.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced one recently, you can put the filter on first then put the fuel line in from the bottom, just have something above to pull it through, I think I used a small needle nose pliers. I've also used small wire and wrapped it around the top of the fuel line and pulled it up into the hole.

willie

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, this is a design feature! So I can't blame the filter placement in the tank as my no start culprit? Looks like Stihl knows something that other manufacturers don't do. I did notice that the filter itself has a big chunk of foam rubber inside. That foam must be the magic sauce to make it work. Can you use other types of filters for this saw (ie the porous plastic or ceramic Husky and Poulan ones), and still have the saw work?

Yes, I did reinstall the line like Palmer did. The line is too short to pull out and attache the filter, unlike other saws.
wilson

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just had the fuel line out of an 028 Super a couple days ago and also thought the fuel line looked "short" but it was a Stihl line so I just ignored that aspect of it. Think I have an air leak on the saw and had removed the line to pressure test it.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use other filters but you'd probably have to use another line also. You could use just the center of the OEM line as a grommet and run some yellow Tygon line throught it, I've seen people do that on 029 saws so it works. There's your chance to get a filter that lays down in the tank..