High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

stihl 020av ignition

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is crazy! I modified a 029 coil to fit and it also lights the Sihl Zat 4 tester up like a Christmas Tree then when I put the plug in and ground it? O fire through the plug? What gives fellows? Flywheel?
Scratch your head again...
What is the magnet spacing compared to the 029 wheel?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a ROTARY brand Nova module if you want to eliminate the points.
NIB
Pay shipping, it's yours
No luck with them. My 048 ate two in a month. Went back to points. Saw was kinda week up top with the old condenser.When it comes out again it's getting a coil and flywheel update if needed.

I like where Keith is going, late model parts ftw.

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both original coil and my modified electronic coil are both 36mm pole to pole between centers20170309_121114.jpg

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20170312_083528.jpg Well obviously somethings wrong with my Zat4 spark tester as I tried another tester and no spark. I insalled this coil kit and presto!! Fire!!! Poured alil fuel in cylinder and she popped off! :campeon2::campeon:! Now to order alota parts to finish this old girl

Last edited:

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 60146 Well obviously somethings wrong with my Zat4 spark tester as I tried another tester and no spark. I insalled this coil kit and presto!! Fire!!! Poured alil fuel in cylinder and she popped off! :campeon2::campeon:! Now to order alota parts to finish this old girl
I'd get rid of that wire nut under there if you weren't already and butt splice it

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run an extra wire from the mounting screw on the module directly to the coil mounting screw(if not mounted to the coil directly), seems this is a point of future failure if ground from case becomes week. Might be overkill, but I figure it beats having the module malfunction and have to replace it. I know it has the ground tab on the unit, I don't claim to understand this or how it works, I just listened to others that had this happen.

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run an extra wire from the mounting screw on the module directly to the coil mounting screw(if not mounted to the coil directly), seems this is a point of future failure if ground from case becomes week. Might be overkill, but I figure it beats having the module malfunction and have to replace it. I know it has the ground tab on the unit, I don't claim to understand this or how it works, I just listened to others that had this happen.
Probably cant see it in the picture but thats what I did.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a word .Most times on a points ignition the problem will be on the low voltage side of the circuit which is the points,common ground, condenser .Seldom is it on the high voltage side ..

It doesn't take much resistance to render them ineffective .You've got an aluminum alloy saw body,a steel or brass screw and a plated set of points ,brass wire terminal . Dissimilar metals and on an older saw that can mean some galvanic action .

I've already disassembled the whole mess,used some 3m green on the parts with Kopper coat between the mating surfaces ,reassembled and that cured the problem .

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a word .Most times on a points ignition the problem will be on the low voltage side of the circuit which is the points,common ground, condenser .Seldom is it on the high voltage side ..

It doesn't take much resistance to render them ineffective .You've got an aluminum alloy saw body,a steel or brass screw and a plated set of points ,brass wire terminal . Dissimilar metals and on an older saw that can mean some galvanic action .

I've already disassembled the whole mess,used some 3m green on the parts with Kopper coat between the mating surfaces ,reassembled and that cured the problem .
Al just to be sure Im following so far, when u refer to the high voltage side, that would be from the secondary windings in coil all the way out the the plug gap? Thanks for the help