So who now makes what chain?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll agree carlton is what I prefer seems you love it or hate it I'm not sure why some dislike it so much

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Only if the price is very low, imo.

Cut something a little tougher than Popple sometime.:p

LGX and oregon in general, is chrome covered crusty dog terd.
Get into a twisted up wind row Elm or Hickory, and you'll be wearing out files keeping LGX up and cutting.

The anti-vibe aspect, goes out the window when you have to spend twice as long cutting.;)

Been there, done that. The cost difference is enough, before having to deal with crusty dog terd chain.
There really is nothing between RM and Carlton SC.
Oregon screwed the pooch, and seems to be quite proud of their efforts, and to the point, they put out Multicut...at TWICE the price, just to compete.

Glad to see ya here old friend...:Saeufer:

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe you are getting chain from a different factory over there. The Woodland Pro/Carlton chain I have used is excellent.

No, the few I have used have been sent from the US.

Imo it is cruder chain than Oregon or Stihl, and also is lacking a low-vibe chassis.

It does cut wood though, once it has been properly sharpened.:)

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
5:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Oregon made Husqvarna chain for a long time, but recently Husky flipped to making their own chain now (somewhere in their empire).
..... .

This was supposed to happen in 2015, but I haven't seen any signs that it actually happened yet - have you?

"Somewhere in their empire" is supposed to be Sweden this time, even though the initial rumors said Norway.

The last rumor I heard from Sweden is that Husky isn't going to ditch Oregon chain completely, and at least they will keep selling the excellent 20- and 70-series LPX chain.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Why is everyone fussing about the cost of Stihl Saw Chain. I recently purchased a loop of RS .325 18" 68 DL for $19.35. TSC wants $19.99 for a 67 DL Tri Link version.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Could have got it cheaper by about a dollar less at the dealer I bought my saw from. And it was a prepackaged loop. We have Great Stihl Dealers in my area. The one in my County is not to far behind in pricing.

HighSierras

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Why is everyone fussing about the cost of Stihl Saw Chain. I recently purchased a loop of RS .325 18" 68 DL for $19.35. TSC wants $19.99 for a 67 DL Tri Link version.

It depends on the type of chain, around here. Full comp RS is very reasonable; just slightly more than Carlton or Oregon. Full-skip RS and RSL are 12-14 cents a DL more. I have no idea why, but those are the chains I run the most, and are quite expensive when you are buying long chains for long bars.

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It depends on the type of chain, around here. Full comp RS is very reasonable; just slightly more than Carlton or Oregon. Full-skip RS and RSL are 12-14 cents a DL more. I have no idea why, but those are the chains I run the most, and are quite expensive when you are buying long chains for long bars.

Same here, and worse really. The Husky shops get more than Stihl, for Oregon skip, and it works out to Carlton WP being 2/3 the cost.

Hit a nail, embedded stones, or wire a couple times, and the cost difference gets plumb stupid.

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Y'all getting ripped off out west. 75% of the wood cut here is hardwood. Ashe, Maple, Birch and Oak. With about 15% Big Popular the rest pine. And shops that still makes Skip loops in this area are not that expensive.

B-N

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone know who is making Laser brand chain these days?