ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been having issues with my RS2 grinding into the driver and tie strap on my LH cutters only, driving me nuts because I can’t figure out why.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may need to thin the leading edge of your stone.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your LH and RH cutters are approximately the same size and you’re hitting only the LH tie straps something isn’t parallel between the grinding stone and the cross slide/chain guides. You need to figure out what’s not parallel and find a way to correct it.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I plan on buying a scarr slide kit soon. I think the part about things not being parallel must be true I’ll have to take a better look tomorrow.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I go through them I shim or file down the motor mounts till the height from the stone to the slide on either side are within 0.005”. It takes a while if mounting/unmounting the motor but it makes a world of difference.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I honestly didn’t realize this would be so finite until I stepped back and realized “oh this thing just got shipped 2000+miles”. That could’ve knocked it out of whack because looking the grinder over it looks like the original owner never adjusted too much on it.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I honestly didn’t realize this would be so finite until I stepped back and realized “oh this thing just got shipped 2000+miles”. That could’ve knocked it out of whack because looking the grinder over it looks like the original owner never adjusted too much on it.

Hopefully it didn't take a good hit to the motor. The bottom plate of the motor, where they bolt to the frame, is quite frail and often bends or cracks even if the grinder falls over. I've welded and trued up 3 or 4 of them.

Look at the baseplate of the motor to the steel center cage, if there is a gap anywhere around the whole motor it's bent.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay so looks like the motor is fine, the wheel and shaft appear to spin pretty true. Seems like the slide mechanism part is out of parallel. Seems like there’s a lot of play in. I loosened both front slide bolts and there’s lots of room for “adjustment”. But this is an old grinder so I expect some tlc to get it perfect.