Screwdriver suggestions?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at buying a set of Phillips and standard drivers. Don't want to cheap out, but probably not going to spend top dollar, either.

I have some Wiha T-handles, but looks like a set of drivers is over $150?! Not gonna happen...

I see Witte Maxpro mentioned around. Also Wera. Have heard mixed reviews on Klein, maybe quality not what it once was?

Anyway, curious about your experiences.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a bunch of Wiha's at a pawn shop with a whole bag of tools, I can post pictures tonight. I also have a bunch of Klein and Greenlee ones along with the requisite few dozen Craftsman ones.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if you have a Menards in your area, but I have been extremely happy with their Masterforce branded screwdriver's. They are Made in the USA too.

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the wrenches thread, I just bought some Husky and Craftsmans and both are USA made. The Huskys were really priced right.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks gang, will look into your suggestions. Except maybe the SO, bot too pricy, me thinks.
Not sure about Menard's, I'll check.
FC I think I like your suggestion best so far!

Last edited:

plcnut

Jesus is LORD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really like my Kleins, but haven't bought any for a few years. All my new ones have been *Wera, and I really like them. I get my *Wera's (as well as my Knipex pliers) from automationdirect.com

*Edit: Used the wrong name...

Last edited:

Plan-b

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at the proto duratek, they are the same as the Mac tool ones.
Proto also makes a classic yellow hard handle. So does Gray tools.
I don't like the newer snap on ones because the handle is too large to fit in my service case...
You know the price won't matter much if you don't like using them. Find someone who has the ones you are thinking of buying, and turn a few screws with them.

Screwdrivers are more of a touchey feely sort of thing, they gotta feel good in your mitts.
Oh, if you buy a soft handle version, know that if you expose it to chemicals, it turns to mush...

DSS

widebody
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wera. They sell them on Amazon. Not crazy expensive either. I like them, soft handles

f8b3735e9109cb9c5b98f7bfd7ea9770.jpg

a49659a1f649af01e159ac5d692bbcd5.jpg

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been eyeballing those Weras a bit. Also the Wiha. Partly because I really am impressed with the T-handles I have, and partly because it's just fun to say, "WEEEE-HAAAW!"
I'm considering going with something on the heavy-duty side, that I could take a hammer to if need be. I see several that have a metal cap option, including the Wiha's. Also, I notice that on the heavy duty models the shaft goes all the way through the handle, which I like.

I see Wiha has a micro finish and a soft finish. Those with experience, what do you think?

Oh, no Menard's up here...

Think I'm staying away from the Craftsman, more out of principle than anything.

Thanks all for your suggestions and experiences! This place ROCKS!

Everyone have a balloon, a drink, and a hit... On me!

:baloon: :beer-toast1: :sifone:

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like I'm going to give the Wiha's a shot, extra heavy duty, micro finish. We shall see...

stihl sawing

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like I'm going to give the Wiha's a shot, extra heavy duty, micro finish. We shall see...
You goin with the cows suggestion? Of course you know he was voted biggest butthole on SH. Gotta keep an eye on him.:dogpile: