Saw Troll

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ain't gettin younger, that's for sure, starting to feel it after a hard days work.
No cause to complain though, when I compare with others I'm around, relatively speaking.
Been having a hard time staying interested in the saws I've accumulated to waist deep, this place helps keep me going in that regard.
You're no help there though, slacker, lol.
I miss the local gtg's...
I did port a saw a month or two back, first in... probably years I think, so there's hope.
I only got to go to one gtg last year missed 3 because 2 I wasn’t allowed to drive and not in good enough shape to travel and then missed one because I tried going back to work

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your dyno build was the coolest build thread I ever read....just sayin.
I've been just sort of sticking my toe in the water in using AI to come up with software for it, I'm clueless there but it seems promising.
The demise of that project really took the wind out 'o my sails where saws are concerned, was so close to being... something...
Haven't given up though, just a very looong break.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been just sort of sticking my toe in the water in using AI to come up with software for it, I'm clueless there but it seems promising.
The demise of that project really took the wind out 'o my sails where saws are concerned, was so close to being... something...
Haven't given up though, just a very looong break.
I've given up on more projects than I can count. Something more pressing comes along, and well....

What you did was very cool in my opinion...

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On here? I'd love to read it.
IIRC it's a little convoluted.
It started over on AS just a bit before this site started, then switched over to here but the majority of it was in a long running multi person PM.
Was also right around the time discussions in the community about porting were getting less secretive, freeing up and 'going public' so to speak.
I think this site played a big part in that.
So wasn't just me... "The chainsaw dyno consortium" got started to spitball ideas with the goal of making a sort of universal dyno build kit that would be reasonably affordable, (like the cost of a new saw) built with as many off the shelf components as possible and doable with modest machine tools/skills. Including a very nice software package running off an R Pi.
Being able to have the same type dyno setup at the bigger gtg's and most saw porting guy's having them, seemed like it really would advance the hobby.
Doing complex things by committee isn't an easy thing and I ended up going my own way to speed things up while the universal kit ideal was still being kicked around. I partnered up with one of the guys local to me who's a software wiz and we got some stuff going...
Ultimately work, family obligations and likely just burnout with all the time spent put the software end of things on back burner status and so the hardware end also ground to a halt.
I could still run the numbers manually but after being spoiled with automagic graph output to your phone from a three second run I couldn't get myself to go that far backward...

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have read saw troll's echo bashing but never took it too seriously. Along with age, doesn't necessarily mean wisdom follows.

In my opinion, the Echos are what bring Stihl and Husq guys together.

I'm running 2 fire department Echo quick-vent saws that were both torched from cutting roofs on fire. Both had fallen off roofs as well. They had some of the most severe and unique damage I've not seen in regular chainsaws. One of them was packed full of ashalt shingle and red sports car debris.

Both converted qv's are still cutting great but they did need quite a few parts. At least the parts were cheap.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why don’t they offer the large echo in us? Emissions?
Not too hard to find some echo muscle saw to run if u like that old school feel to yer saws. I like saws that are durable and simple. I also like filthy good oilers that over oil even a 36" bar.

My ported qv 8000 banished my Jonsered 2172 to the lewis winch. My original 91.6 cc 900 evl replaced my unoriginal 91.6 cc MS 660 and the pav-ported 1201 replaced a stihl-born magnumless 881.

All smiles everyday I run echo muscle and never expected 81 cc-116 cc saws to be lightweight.......
20240424-132417.jpg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to get a 1201 but I just cannot justify the cost., I know when I got it here I would not have the heart to break it's virginity.

Reactions: Lnk