High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Restoration work

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
In the winter, I manage to do some "restoration" work on my projects. I have a nice bead blaster and it is integral to the process. As is the woodstove!

I generally degrease my parts, and wash with soap. Dry by the woodstove. Then, I bead blast my parts to bare magnesium.

Mufflers get tossed on a bed of coals and cooked for 15 minutes - then pulled out to cool before blasting.

The goal is to not contaminate my glass media.

After blasting, parts get hung on wires on a rack next to my woodstove. After heating, they are ready for priming and painting. Heat helps the primer and paint flow out smooth, and dry faster. It also seems to harden the paint a bit, making it more durable.

I like using my saws. I don't mind if the paint wears in, and don't see the value in powder coat unless it is going to be a showpiece.

That said, I finished up this recoil today. It was in rough shape operationally and cosmetically. I replaced components, refinished the paint, new sticker, and Chiwainese elasto-start handle.

Share your projects and methods!

20160226_174024-1.jpeg

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll speak from my Mac experience ...

I'll clean/wash as best I can. (Here comes the fast part) Goes to the sand blast box .... gets wiped down with rubbing alcohol .... gets primed with metal-etching primer. I go over this with several light coats of Rust-Oleum. Then light coats of Dupli-Color Clear Engine Enamel.

I do believe that when curing the color coats, a few temp cycles of warm/cool over a period of days helps to harden the paint. Same goes for when the clear coat is going on. I'll hang parts in my South-facing pickup truck for the high temps, then move them to the basement.

I know all this takes time, but I think the finish it provides is quite durable to fuel and use.

Here's a before/after on my first restore, an SP81:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Y'all do nice looking work. Glad to see stuff besides porting here.

Jon does quite a few restoration projects. Mostly powder coat.......cause we know a guy. :)

Now on the older saws......I just can't bring myself to redo them. I like that they look well used.

Does that make me weird?

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Jon does quite a few restoration projects. Mostly powder coat.......cause we know a guy. :)

Now on the older saws......I just can't bring myself to redo them. I like that they look well used.

Does that make me weird?
weird no,,,,, cheap YES :roto2rie:

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Does that make me weird?
:hydrogen:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't bring myself to pay for powder coat for my personal stuff either. I'd be inclined to place some sort of pad in the back of the truck to protect my investment when I cut wood. I'm not there....yet. But in the spirit of restoration, here's a pile I started with.
20151222_151406.jpg
I've always wanted an 066, and there's a few in there. I picked one out of the pile and got started. Pulled it down to bare case halves and took it to the parts washer. I got rid of my blast cabinet, so I sanded the halves and sprayed and sanded 3 or 4 coats of aluminum primer to smooth out the scratches. Ford Light Gray is nearly a perfect match
[/ATTACH] 20160102_180402.jpg 20160102_180441.jpg 20160102_181602.jpg 20160102_181620.jpg

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is my first attempt on a saw.
7ecf7f0f28c5560cecb90d9530772c7a.jpg
8e5b7624988694d636e53c34199c30cc.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dig old machines.

Sometimes the patina is nicer than a refinish.

I use PPG urethane applied with a brush. It's amazing how many saws a pint can do, and it's hard as nails when dry.

I recently got a small blast cabinet. With the right media, it's amazing the finishes one can give parts.