High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Reproduction Stihl 084 Muffler

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd extend the outlet scope a bit longer, my 2ct.

If you want to send a few here or more I can finish them with my mig. I have an 084 with the nice oe nos muffler to fit them up. I don't need one but many guys here do and my welder is ready. PM if your interested.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd extend the outlet scope a bit longer, my 2ct.

If you want to send a few here or more I can finish them with my mig. I have an 084 with the nice oe nos muffler to fit them up. I don't need one but many guys here do and my welder is ready. PM if your interested.

Thanks for your interest Kevin, the first step for me is to get a price for the CNC work and material (still waiting on this) and then get a prototype stitched together using my TIG. I'd like to keep the welds as small and as tidy as I can but it will be a weigh up between this and the time it takes. I also intend to use my OEM muffler as a template to make a jig up so I can hold the pieces together while I weld, given that the relationship between the cylinder mounting and the two mounts on the crankcase is critical.

Your offer is certainly appreciated and could be a very good way to keep costs down for US based members. I'll keep you posted.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for your interest Kevin, the first step for me is to get a price for the CNC work and material (still waiting on this) and then get a prototype stitched together using my TIG. I'd like to keep the welds as small and as tidy as I can but it will be a weigh up between this and the time it takes. I also intend to use my OEM muffler as a template to make a jig up so I can hold the pieces together while I weld, given that the relationship between the cylinder mounting and the two mounts on the crankcase is critical.

Your offer is certainly appreciated and could be a very good way to keep costs down for US based members. I'll keep you posted.

I had to grind the mating surfaces flat in a big sander to make them flat after welding. That’s the worst part to me. And that was at 35-45 amps at the most with a tig rig.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well chaps, I got some pricing back from the manufacturer and based on a production run of 30 mufflers we're looking at around $175USD each (subject to confirmation) plus freight to the US (which would be about $35USD). How does that stack up? I've got a prototype underway in 2mm mild steel and I'll post some pictures once I have something in front of me.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you planning on making the bolt together flange part thicker than 2mm? I think you'll find it will warp a far amount when you weld it and you'll have to belt sand it back flat.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you planning on making the bolt together flange part thicker than 2mm? I think you'll find it will warp a far amount when you weld it and you'll have to belt sand it back flat.

On the prototype yes, but this can be changed for production. What I am doing is making a jig up, in this jig, the flanges will be clamped between 2 bits of 8mm thick steel while welding, holding everything exactly in place. I'm hoping this reduces distortion to a minimum leaving only a minimal amount of sanding needing to be done.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the prototype yes, but this can be changed for production. What I am doing is making a jig up, in this jig, the flanges will be clamped between 2 bits of 8mm thick steel while welding, holding everything exactly in place. I'm hoping this reduces distortion to a minimum leaving only a minimal amount of sanding needing to be done.

I tried that. It still needed a good bit of sanding. I stacked 4 flanges together which would have been 15-16mm. I had mine cut out of 10 or 11 gauge.