Random pics (that you took) thread...

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope not too. The engine did not have any of these issues prior to rebuild. Just a good rod knock! Cam bearings of the same design I pulled out and installed correctly. Only has one or two lifters ticking. Not the whole set. So that's why I think it's isolated parts, not an oiling issue. Found a dozen nos exhaust valve rotators for 15 bucks shipped on eBay. Maybe one is broken? I was planning on replacing them when I was back in there for that price. Never heard of a rotator breaking, just not rotating. But I never get lucky on my stuff. Always a head scratcher.

I dumped a box of baby Diamondbacks in the sump. Now it has a rattle noise! :D

Long shot. I'm sure you have changed the filter already. But if not might be worth a try. I had a jeep 4.0 that would be happy until it got hot. Made a heck of a racket once warm. Pulled lots of hair out trying to find the problem. Turned out to be a bad bypass or something in the filter. When it got hot it swelled and cut off a healthy portion of the oil flow. I didn't find it until I cut the filter open after I changed the oil and the noise went away.

Ended up having to rebuild that engine a short while later due to wiped out bearings :facepalm:

Steven

Edit: This was the event that lead me to finding out how bad fram filters were constructed. That dang ph16 filter cost me a left nut.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Long shot. I'm sure you have changed the filter already. But if not might be worth a try. I had a jeep 4.0 that would be happy until it got hot. Made a heck of a racket once warm. Pulled lots of hair out trying to find the problem. Turned out to be a bad bypass or something in the filter. When it got hot it swelled and cut off a healthy portion of the oil flow. I didn't find it until I cut the filter open after I changed the oil and the noise went away.

Ended up having to rebuild that engine a short while later due to wiped out bearings :facepalm:

Steven

Edit: This was the event that lead me to finding out how bad fram filters were constructed. That dang ph16 filter cost me a left nut.

It's been doing this over a few oil changes now. Mobil1 and motorcraft filters.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting real tired of pulling this engine apart. Had a lifter fail and just made you feel like everyone is staring at you at a traffic light. Just waiting for your truck to explode.

View attachment 341893

Now we'll just sit here for 20 minutes. I'll probably waste 10 bucks worth of fuel doing this.:mad:

View attachment 341894

Just some crazy questions for you Steve.
Got her fixed?
Did you isolate which lifter failed?
Why tear down so much for 1 lifter?

I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to help.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just some crazy questions for you Steve.
Got her fixed?
Did you isolate which lifter failed?
Why tear down so much for 1 lifter?

I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to help.

Not fixed yet. Have had time yet

No isolation yet.

Upper intake has to come off to remove the valve cover. Lifter has to come out of the side of the block. Same tear down for one lifter so why not a set!

Pretty convinced it's not a lifter at this point.

Checking valve lash is next but need to build a special tool to collapse the lifters first. Suspect I may have installed incorrect length pushrods.

PXL_20210929_125205687.jpg

PXL_20210923_020028672.jpg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, more than 1 lifter was making noise? By isolating I meant did you narrow down which lifter was making noise while it was running. I have had a new oem lifter that was weak every so often. I have 1/2 a box of new ones here just for such a case.

Nope, just tossed a full set in there as cheap as they are. Didn't want to find one lightly tapping after the noisy one replaced and have to tear it down that far again. It's a chore to get that lifter cover out and back in. It's either #1 or 2 as the noise is loud up front.

You are always allowed one dart before you actually have to properly diagnose it! :D