Question about Mastermind cylinder cleanup method

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gots to be very fast, and very thorough in the rinsing, as the alkali of the oven cleaner will consume aluminum
That's a no chitter.Don't dilly dally with it .Got it one and get it off ,fast .Nasty stuff .

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone try a little piece of folded up 50 grit by hand? You know when you've busted through the aluminum transfer when it starts getting slippery.
That's how I do it but I don't clean up cylinders every day.

Takes a while sometimes but I've never ruined one either.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use flapper wheels on a battery drill and i have scotchbrite ball mounted also i like that design also closest harbor freight to me is uniontown pa a hour or so away

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i use flapper wheels on a battery drill and i have scotchbrite ball mounted also i like that design also closest harbor freight to me is uniontown pa a hour or so away

I looked on the website,couldn't find it. The packaging is gone so I can't get a code of it. I wouldn't want you to have to venture into Fayette County. :cool:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
For sure! LOL! :D

Picked up some muriatic acid today. Going to try that method on the next one.

Thought I would add: The cylinder that started this thread had ALOT of transfer in it. Full width of the exhaust port above and almost full width below. That probably played a factor in my taking things too fa too fast.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thought I would add: The cylinder that started this thread had ALOT of transfer in it. Full width of the exhaust port above and almost full width below. That probably played a factor in my taking things too fa too fast.

I've ruined more with acid than I have by sanding. If the acid gets in a scratch, it will eat away under the plating. Also, be aware that the fumes are not good for you, or any metals that are near.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked on the website,couldn't find it. The packaging is gone so I can't get a code of it. I wouldn't want you to have to venture into Fayette County. :cool:

lol ive only been to uniontown 2 times once to get tires almost 20 years ago for my buddys garage and to look at my cousins stepsons truck when he tore it up lol

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There is one 20 min from me, but their shipping rates are so reasonable (and fast) I often just "shop from home" if I see what I want on line and don't need it this minute. For example, they shipped 3 solar panels to me for $6.99 and it came it 2 or 3 days!

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use acid first on most of them. I keep it out of the ports. I sand when I get close using a slotted nail with 80 grit and wd40 or whatever spray lube is close

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I use acid and sandpaper. Sand first to get any of the oil embedded stuff off the transfer, then use acid on a Qtip, the sand again. Rinse with baking soda at the end to neutralize the acid.

I looked at your pics. The witness lines show you to be safe. I wouldn't even it out on the other side myself. So what if it's a bit assymetric.

You have a nice chamfer and the port roof is still nice and round.

I'd run it as is and I bet you'll be just fine. Opening the other side is gonna add more width and possible more problems. Unless you're chasing tenths, not sure why you would even it out.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it helps anyone, here's a pic of the set up I use sitting on top of a 3m flapper I really like and used on a 3 horse B&S engine. Would love a smaller one for saw cylinders but don't think/know if one even exists. Has the Scotch Brite padding between the sandpaper in layers.

IMG_20161217_173404_496.jpg

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it helps anyone, here's a pic of the set up I use sitting on top of a 3m flapper I really like and used on a 3 horse B&S engine. Would love a smaller one for saw cylinders but don't think/know if one even exists. Has the Scotch Brite padding between the sandpaper in layers.

View attachment 45104

i have one of those also and havent found a smaller diameter one either