High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Porting A 390XP Top End For A Worksaw

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sadly....these very same threads give the crooks a blueprint to build a few good runners too. Then.....the long cocking begins.
That's the main reason I don't post these sort of threads much anymore.
Totally understandable and agree.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, I remember back in the day the 385 was more desirable "port" project. Something change that or is my mind making stuff up again ? I have a Mike Lee 385 I like a lot but never ran a ported 390 next to it so can't say anything about that. Carry on
I’ve owned a ported 385 and the company currently has a stock 390 with a muffler mod. I’ve ran a few modded/ported 390’s as well. I found the 390’s seem to have a bit more grunt. Especially with say a 32” bar in hardwood. With shorter bars, the difference is not as noticeable. The 390’s seem to use more fuel. Just going by what I felt. I didn’t directly compare them or time cuts.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Sadly....these very same threads give the crooks a blueprint to build a few good runners too. Then.....the long cocking begins.

I have to disagree with ya Randy. It gives them the idea of what needs to be done but as I hinted earlier they lack any kind of skills and or the right tooling to duplicate. In my opinion it sets them up for failure because they think they can. Give them a rope.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to disagree with ya Randy. It gives them the idea of what needs to be done but as I hinted earlier they lack any kind of skills and or the right tooling to duplicate. In my opinion it sets them up for failure because they think they can. Give them a rope.

Good point.....

But.....JMS told me that when someone sent him a saw he'd never done, all he had to do was search for Mastermind Meets XXXXX

That changed some stuff for me.

AKJonsereds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point.....

But.....JMS told me that when someone sent him a saw he'd never done, all he had to do was search for Mastermind Meets XXXXX

That changed some stuff for me.

It may help them get lucky on a few, but they still need to do good work to make them last. Like bevel on port windows and proper sealing of the cylinder. Those looking for a quick buck will skip steps and in the end, it shows. Also, your customer service is second to none.

Giving us eye candy won’t make a hack a good porter. It merely reminds us why we call you MR Monkey, Sir.

And the sticker looks reeeeeallly good.

PS: I bought a MM saw, not because it is the fastest saw. I got one because I knew I wouldn’t have to work on it for years.

Last edited:

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, someone could grab the mounting plate/jig, chuck it up in the 4 jaw on the lathe, set up the indicator and correct the run out, grab the boring bar and cut the squish, chuck up the correct mandrel and cut the base. Of course that would require a lathe, lathe tooling, specific saw/saw size tooling and skill. Even the relatively tiny number of people with access to the lathe and tooling are still somewhat unlikely to copy you to do a couple of saws because they of all people probably understand that you have to do serious volume to do all that work priced competitively. Not to say it won't happen, it has and will, but probably not all that often. If I had the resources I may do one or 2 for myself just to try but would still send serious work to the pros.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I couldn't agree more.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's alot of hacks spinning wheels...

Hacks can't get it right no matter how good the instruction. Crooks make profit off other people's trial and error without giving credit where credit is due. Imho Jms had skill. Somehow he CHOSE to be a crook about it. Others are just hacks. Some are both. Debatable which is worst.

Either way ... I think this site needs to put front and center the guys who are doing their level best and giving good product and reasonable prices. Gotta drown out the bad with lots of good.

No matter what if a crook wants to steal they will figure out how to do it. I think information sharing does tons more good than feed the bad. But that's just me.

Thanks again Randy.

66Fleetside

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hacks can't get it right no matter how good the instruction. Crooks make profit off other people's trial and error without giving credit where credit is due. Imho Jms had skill. Somehow he CHOSE to be a crook about it. Others are just hacks. Some are both. Debatable which is worst.

Either way ... I think this site needs to put front and center the guys who are doing their level best and giving good product and reasonable prices. Gotta drown out the bad with lots of good.

No matter what if a crook wants to steal they will figure out how to do it. I think information sharing does tons more good than feed the bad. But that's just me.

Thanks again Randy.

Speaking of drowning out the bad with lots of good....

Perhaps the “forum guys” could band together and put a properly-built saw in the hands of one or more YouTube influencer types: BBR, Human, Logger Wade, Cotontop, etc.

Not sure anyone really needs the advertising, sounds like everybody has plenty of work....just a way to drown out some of the other nonsense and promote quality workmanship.

Easy for me to sit here and spend someone else’s time and money. Maybe a collection type of thing to get the ball rolling.

Just a random thought. Probably not a great one.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, someone could grab the mounting plate/jig, chuck it up in the 4 jaw on the lathe, set up the indicator and correct the run out, grab the boring bar and cut the squish, chuck up the correct mandrel and cut the base. Of course that would require a lathe, lathe tooling, specific saw/saw size tooling and skill. Even the relatively tiny number of people with access to the lathe and tooling are still somewhat unlikely to copy you to do a couple of saws because they of all people probably understand that you have to do serious volume to do all that work priced competitively. Not to say it won't happen, it has and will, but probably not all that often. If I had the resources I may do one or 2 for myself just to try but would still send serious work to the pros.

This.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
7:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of drowning out the bad with lots of good....

Perhaps the “forum guys” could band together and put a properly-built saw in the hands of one or more YouTube influencer types: BBR, Human, Logger Wade, Cotontop, etc.

Not sure anyone really needs the advertising, sounds like everybody has plenty of work....just a way to drown out some of the other nonsense and promote quality workmanship.

Easy for me to sit here and spend someone else’s time and money. Maybe a collection type of thing to get the ball rolling.

Just a random thought. Probably not a great one.

It just needs someone to take a saw or 3 to buckingstock... and they don’t have to be all from one builder ..