jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok i gotta ask. Whats the story behind that cylinder?

There was a builder years ago, "Tyrell", who became the blue goo master. He called out some other builders and put up some challenges, but they
all ended in disaster. His saw building skills were on par with Vermin Supreme's political career.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a builder years ago, "Tyrell", who became the blue goo master. He called out some other builders and put up some challenges, but they
all ended in disaster. His saw building skills were on par with Vermin Supreme's political career.
Vermin tried for the governorship here last year. Dudes a nut.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are very consistent......usually. There are cases of things changing though. For instance, Stihl had been using Gilardoni jugs and KS pistons in the 661 since they first came out. Then....a few months ago I started seeing a Stihl branded jug and a KS piston. Squish clearances didn't change, but the intake port is much different.....
Better or worse intake?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you include tear down, assembly, muffler work and paint, timing changes along with the port work/machining in this thread, a fair bit of time and effort is required for these builds.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good to see this thread. Randy, your old 372xpw thread like this one over on AS is what gave me the courage to grind on my first cylinder. I'm not looking to start marketing my services, in fact after porting a handful of cylinders I can say I'm absolutely not interested in taking on outside work, especially in the volume of work you and others do. I've done a few, mainly my own saws and it was fun. I prefer to keep it fun. All thanks to the free advice, tips, knowledge and threads like this from you and many other good builders, guys like me that want to have a little fun can do just that and not spend a small fortune on replacing fooked cylinders.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to see this thread. Randy, your old 372xpw thread like this one over on AS is what gave me the courage to grind on my first cylinder. I'm not looking to start marketing my services, in fact after porting a handful of cylinders I can say I'm absolutely not interested in taking on outside work, especially in the volume of work you and others do. I've done a few, mainly my own saws and it was fun. I prefer to keep it fun. All thanks the free advice, tips, knowledge and threads like this from you and many other good builders, guys like me that want to have a little fun can do just that and not spend a small fortune on replacing fooked cylinders.

Sadly....these very same threads give the crooks a blueprint to build a few good runners too. Then.....the long cocking begins.
That's the main reason I don't post these sort of threads much anymore.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly....these very same threads give the crooks a blueprint to build a few good runners too. Then.....the long cocking begins.
That's the main reason I don't post these sort of threads much anymore.
that makes me think we should have a section for members only, yeah I know, it won't change much in the end.
The day we let the crooks prevent us from sharing we have all lost.

But think of this, over the years you've ported Randy, all those top ends you have massaged, eventually a saw break down, someone will copy/paste what you did, end of the day some of your recipes will end up in a crook hands.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that makes me think we should have a section for members only, yeah I know, it won't change much in the end.
The day we let the crooks prevent us from sharing we have all lost.

But think of this, over the years you've ported Randy, all those top ends you have massaged, eventually a saw break down, someone will copy/paste what you did, end of the day some of your recipes will end up in a crook hands.

I'm just sorta tired of it all.

I'm working on an exit plan.....

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good to see this thread. Randy, your old 372xpw thread like this one over on AS is what gave me the courage to grind on my first cylinder. I'm not looking to start marketing my services, in fact after porting a handful of cylinders I can say I'm absolutely not interested in taking on outside work, especially in the volume of work you and others do. I've done a few, mainly my own saws and it was fun. I prefer to keep it fun. All thanks to the free advice, tips, knowledge and threads like this from you and many other good builders, guys like me that want to have a little fun can do just that and not spend a small fortune on replacing fooked cylinders.
Well said. Im in the same boat and just like to do builds for fun. I feel no need to bring customers into the equation. More importantly im nowhere near experienced enought be touching anyone else's saw

Last edited:

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been around since the AS days. I know you don't have time for these build threads. Actually it was one of the key factors that kept me around.
There has always been banter, in-fighting, smack talk and junk. It usually settles down over time. I for one am thankful that this forum is still around.
I know as long as men are driven and wired like they are there will be competition and controversy. I cannot stand a con man, cheat, liar or a thief.
That being said, carry on sir. I'm not a Husky guy, just a guy who has a hungry mind and loves to learn. Thanks for all the knowledge shared!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just sorta tired of it all.

I'm working on an exit plan.....
dog fights on forums makes everyone tired (it was a bit fight for awhile), I understand you're tired of it Randy.
Trust me, I've been there myself as you're feeling right now, 10 years ago, it's a long story that's is not needed to speak about, but I left what I had build up.
The decission I made, I regret it.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Controversies like this IH thing are draining as well as distracting. Suggest we all wash our hands of the sideshow and it's never ending comments and move forward. Enjoy the build of this saw and how we came together on it, without jumping back into how the whole thing came about. No need to keep beating up on the other side, and after a week is there really anything new to be said about it? And let's not start any new threads to cover the same ground.

Nice shiny 390 short blocks are here BTW. No pics...…..til I find where the camera is.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Controversies like this IH thing are draining as well as distracting. Suggest we all wash our hands of the sideshow and it's never ending comments and move forward. Enjoy the build of this saw and how we came together on it, without jumping back into how the whole thing came about. No need to keep beating up on the other side, and after a week is there really anything new to be said about it? And let's not start any new threads to cover the same ground.

Nice shiny 390 short blocks are here BTW. No pics...…..til I find where the camera is.

Oh yeah!