High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

ported 461s

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do you think if you tuned Brad's saw a little richer (maybe 14.3-14.8 range) the torque would increase? It sounded like it was on the edge at 15.2k. Just curious.

I have a 460 by Brad and it is a bad boy IMO. My favorite saw to cut with, along with my TM 346.
Tune is everything and a saw tuned to fast will have little grunt.

The faster you tune it past optimum rpm the easier it is to bog,just because it tunes fast doesn't mean it's faster.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brad's saws are known for rpm. He likes rpm in his saws. No surprise there. I personally like torque in my saws. Where is the video of the BS461 running the 8 pin for comparison? Interested to see where the times go.

Some of brads saws make plenty of torque..idk about certain models..ive only ran 6 of them.

Ive ran a few ported for "torque" that were average at best...

Im not sure i understand the theory in it all..having useable torque is where its at for me personally..making my clutch slip or burning bar rails beacuse im leaning on my saws ridiculously hard is useless torque in my opinion...opinions vary.

I agree brads saw should be fattened up accordingly to see the true torque difference.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you cut timber all day for very long you will learn not to pry on your saw, it will just make you that much more tired.

Falling and topping you use the tip and top of the bar a lot so a fast saw is more preferred by the loggers I know but a saw can be tuned for either. If you pry on it then slow it down, if you self feed turn it up. Tune makes or breaks a saw.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would be cool if he was over here though and could talk openly bout porting and chit without a pissin match

It would never happen..theres a few guys that start jackin off over everything the guy types and twist it into something thats borderline retarded...but i agree..it would be cool to have another perspective.

Last edited:

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you cut timber all day for very long you will learn not to pry on your saw, it will just make you that much more tired.

Falling and topping you use the tip and top of the bar a lot so a fast saw is more preferred by the loggers I know but a saw can be tuned for either. If you pry on it then slow it down, if you self feed turn it up. Tune makes or breaks a saw.
Knowing how to sharpen is just as important as tune IMO. I agree 100 percent about not prying on a saw all day.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Knowing how to sharpen is just as important as tune IMO. I agree 100 percent about not prying on a saw all day.
Agree 100%
A very fast saw is not fast at all with a a dull chain or a poor tune. One is as important as the other.

A dull chain gets you hurt or killed.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree 100%
A very fast saw is not fast at all with a a dull chain or a poor tune. One is as important as the other.

A dull chain gets you hurt or killed.
Cut foot leg etc. At least that one saw you ported that wont pull a 24 is a safety saw.......

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is not just the tune. I have 3 044/440 saws, and they do not all like the same tune. Some saws run just great a little fat, while others just don't seem to like it at all.

Wish I could explain why, but I don't have that answer.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im curious why you have compared these 461s of Scotts and Brads and also the 661s of the same two gentleman, Julian?

Some guys have a hard on for brad and will take any oppurtunity they can to smear his work..the sad part of that is .... brad himself told me about a year ago that he has mad respect for scott and how well he ports his saws...especially his 064s

Ive compared many builders saws and have a collection of videos that would have this forum in full blown war and leave a few people with a bruised ego.. but...its not worth the battle and scary to think how emotionally involved people get.

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
why not? Circumstances have come up where I've had both builders in my possession at the same time...I've heard good things about brad's 461 and happened to have an opportunity to trade for one so I did. On the 661 brad had that basement flood and needed money fast, he offered me the 661 for xyz price and I didn't haggle with him at all.

Both his 461 and 661 are good saws. They seem to accomplish good times one way more speed/rpm and the Tree monkey saws accomplish it with more torque.
Thats normal. Some porters port with rpm, some torque, and some with both. Pick to your liking

Last edited: