srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to get it terrible, prednisone once a season usually when id get it particularly bad. I started taking oral ivy, basically a bit of poison ivy dissolved in alcohol. A few drops in a glass of water every morning. Did that for a couple years. I havent had even a moderate reaction since then, and im outside and encounter poison ivy basically every day.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. When younger I never had a problem with this stuff, I'd crawl through it and never have even a slight reaction. That all changed one day when I got a rash on over 50% of my body.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am highly allergic to it and have had cases when my eyes were swollen shut and where I could not walk due to quarter size blisters on my feet that the doctor had to pop.

Some of my worst cases came from contact with dogs that had unbeknownst to me run through it. Some recent reading I did suggests that vigorous scrubbing is more effective than the soap or treatment you use.

Ethobling

Jack of Many Trades
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you cutters use to wash down with after dealing with ivy infested trees?

If I could find the guy that's not allergic, I'd hire him.

I'm not allergic, at least not anymore. Back when I was a kid, I just washed it off with degreasing dish soap. It is an oil, after all. The sooner you do it, the better.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am highly allergic to it and have had cases when my eyes were swollen shut and where I could not walk due to quarter size blisters on my feet that the doctor had to pop.

Some of my worst cases came from contact with dogs that had unbeknownst to me run through it. Some recent reading I did suggests that vigorous scrubbing is more effective than the soap or treatment you use.
I’d agree with what you read. If you get it off I believe you’re in the clear. It’s very sticky as some others have mentioned. Good soap and get that crap off and I’m usually ok

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have Ivey X pre-contact lotion at work. If I'm working in right-of-way, or even road side its every where around here. Still need to wash after contact, I use 99% alcohol. We use it for cleaning fiber optic cable.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Groundi uses Tecnu with good success after exposure. I also get poison ivy but don't get it as bad as she does.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any soap that can break down oil works. When that's too late. Triamcinolone Acetonide cream......prescription only. My last prescription was for five tubes. Seems pretty strong, it's another topical steroid.

Mr Awesome

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know the next question.

Anyone experienced with rm18?
Can the ivy on the tree bark be spayed without hurting the tree? I CAN avoid the tree leaves and needles.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know the next question.

Anyone experienced with rm18?
Can the ivy on the tree bark be spayed without hurting the tree? I CAN avoid the tree leaves and needles.
I’m not certain it will kill it. I read the label. I’ve never used diquat but it’s main use is around water so as not to kill fish. Glyphosate was the main ingredient which I know for a fact will not kill poison

2-4 D will smoke poison. as long as the tree is fairly mature you can spray the tree trunk with the 2_4 d. You may see a little leaf wilt from some of the “fumes”. It will not kill the tree. I’ve killed some very large poison plants with it growing up my barns. I go pretty heavy on the dose because I hate poison.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use some sticker with the 2-4d If you don’t have any put a shot of dawn or whatever dish soap in it. Helps it hold on there. Poison is pretty tough