Plumbing tools

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked for a small plumbing and heating contractor when I was in high school .That was in the days of cast iron drain lines .During the mid 60's they thought copper waste -drain -vent was the answer ,it wasn't .The hard water here in the giant corn field ate right through it in about 20 years .

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I worked for a small plumbing and heating contractor when I was in high school .That was in the days of cast iron drain lines .During the mid 60's they thought copper waste -drain -vent was the answer ,it wasn't .The hard water here in the giant corn field ate right through it in about 20 years .
I have trouble in my area with the hot water eating copper from the inside. Cold water always seems fine.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the entire copper lines under my house a few years back with cpvc. The house was built in '73 and about 1978 they drilled an oil well about a mile away as the crow flies .In doing so they polluted all the deep wells in the area with hydrogen sulfide gas --skunk water .It ate out the lines .I called a well driller and sunk another well. Above the limestone at 117 feet ,no sulfer . The other well is 200,sulfer.

Now here's how geology works .I was using the sulfer well for my geothermal heat pump .Something happened ,the well appeared to "sand in" .I let it sit unpumped all summer then blew it out with a big air compressor and installed a super k sand trap .
The sand was blue clay slurry and evidently sealed off the aquafer that carried the sulfer,it's gone .