Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey folks
I have a couple aftermarket cylinders here that I would like to do some work on but am unable to cut the squish band as it's plated.

I don't have a lathe and usually cut the band using an old piston with a piece of power hacksaw blade tapped into a slot in the top of the piston.

This works great on cylinders with no plating on the band but it won't take the plating out.

Does anyone have a way they have found to get the plating out?

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You could use some coarse Emery on the top of the piston to cut through the plating? I've done it by accident trying to clean up an overly trashed cylinder so I know it'll cut through the plating!

Failing that maybe a piece of tool steel set into a slot on the piston if you've access to a milling machine

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
jb quick weld some 50 grit sandpaper to the top of an old piston. put a wrist pin in the piston, use a clutch tool from a husky 350 ... attach to your drill, spin the piston. be REALLY careful to not get grit on the sidewalls, and use oil / wd-40 as cutting fluid. i've cut as much as .010 out of heads. but it takes time.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
9:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that on plated bands matto?

I can take material out easy with the cutter fixed to a piston top but it just spins on the plating

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought diamond plated bit sets for this reason. Cheap in eBay.

There are flat ones that should be able to be used to just get through the plating, then use your piston method.

Haven't tried it yet. A popup piston is an option in these Tony.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that on plated bands matto?

I can take material out easy with the cutter fixed to a piston top but it just spins on the plating

Yep. ..but I don't like adjusting squish bands if they are nicely plated. And...it'll take a while. Gotta pull the piston out and clean with brake cleaner...it gets loaded.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The question is,is there really that much improvement by cutting the chamber size down ? I've never done it ,just lower the cylinder and call it a day .