Pipers sound off if you’re present

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finished up the Old Toby Brad gifted me. Smoked a bowl of GL Pease Sumatra last night. I think Sumatra is the name. I know it was GL Pease. And I'm smoking a bowl of Cornell and Diehl's Good Morning, right now.

Tastes pretty good after a day of shoveling snow.

Thanks Brad.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Finished up the Old Toby Brad gifted me. Smoked a bowl of GL Pease Sumatra last night. I think Sumatra is the name. I know it was GL Pease. And I'm smoking a bowl of Cornell and Diehl's Good Morning, right now.

Tastes pretty good after a day of shoveling snow.

Thanks Brad.
Awesome! I’m glad you’re enjoying them. I had a couple bowls of dark holler today in a corn cob pipe. Didn’t take a pic. It’s a lot like Old Toby or Tombigbee I guess they are calling it now. Good stuff!

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome! I’m glad you’re enjoying them. I had a couple bowls of dark holler today in a corn cob pipe. Didn’t take a pic. It’s a lot like Old Toby or Tombigbee I guess they are calling it now. Good stuff!
I am definitely enjoying them!

I thought I'd heard they changed the name, but couldn't remember what it was for sure.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I smoked an unknown blend the other day. It was just in my leftovers tin. Whatever doesn’t fit when I prep gets dropped into an overflow. It’s like an ever changing blend. Usually good
I have a mystery tin as well. I sometimes end up filling those pocket tins then not smoking the pipe for a week or two then forgetting what I put in the tins. Oh well into the mystery tin they go. It’s usually still enjoyable.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a bowl of Mississippi River a bit ago, and forgot a picture, but I'm sitting down with this bowl, while I drink some coffee and enjoy the wood stove. -8(-33 wind chill) outside at the moment. Don't normally smoke in the morning, but it was calling me today.
IMG_20240113_095707_943.jpgIMG_20240113_095607_487.jpg

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a bowl of Mississippi River a bit ago, and forgot a picture, but I'm sitting down with this bowl, while I drink some coffee and enjoy the wood stove. -8(-33 wind chill) outside at the moment. Don't normally smoke in the morning, but it was calling me today.
View attachment 403932View attachment 403933
I like that one a lot! It’s a slow smoke but well worth it.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put it on my list to buy, for cellaring. I like it a lot as well. 👍🏻

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have any of you fellas bought any of this bulk Sutliff? I'm a bit confused as to why it's substantially cheaper than the Sutliff tins. I mean, I presume this stuff is probably bagged, not tinned, so that may be some of the difference in cost, and maybe pressing it into cakes adds cost, but a pound for 35-50 bucks, seems like a heck of a deal.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it less quality, or something? At these prices, a guy can put a lot of tobacco back, for cellaring, as opposed, to buying tins.

Thanks for any insight.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have any of you fellas bought any of this bulk Sutliff? I'm a bit confused as to why it's substantially cheaper than the Sutliff tins. I mean, I presume this stuff is probably bagged, not tinned, so that may be some of the difference in cost, and maybe pressing it into cakes adds cost, but a pound for 35-50 bucks, seems like a heck of a deal.

Is there something I'm missing? Is it less quality, or something? At these prices, a guy can put a lot of tobacco back, for cellaring, as opposed, to buying tins.

Thanks for any insight.

Nothing at all wrong with bulk Tobacco. As is the case with tinned tobacco, quality can and does vary. Like you said it’s an economical way to enjoy the hobby. When I first started the hobby I liked bulk tobacco because I could order a couple ounces of something a try it before committing more financially to something I possibly might not like.

One consideration between tinned and bulk is consistency. The tin is going to be more consistent from tin to tin and batch to batch. The bulk stuff could be dryer or have a different flavor depending on how long it’s been on the shelf and how it’s been stored at the particular retailer you choose to order from. However, having said that, how will you know the difference unless you compared the two side by side, or if you were switching from something you liked tinned to the same in bulk.

I personally order a lot of tobacco from places like the country squire in bulk form. Stick with the more popular places like pipes & cigars, smoking pipes, etc. and I think you’ll be just fine with bulk.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing at all wrong with bulk Tobacco. As is the case with tinned tobacco, quality can and does vary. Like you said it’s an economical way to enjoy the hobby. When I first started the hobby I liked bulk tobacco because I could order a couple ounces of something a try it before committing more financially to something I possibly might not like.

One consideration between tinned and bulk is consistency. The tin is going to be more consistent from tin to tin and batch to batch. The bulk stuff could be dryer or have a different flavor depending on how long it’s been on the shelf and how it’s been stored at the particular retailer you choose to order from. However, having said that, how will you know the difference unless you compared the two side by side, or if you were switching from something you liked tinned to the same in bulk.

I personally order a lot of tobacco from places like the country squire in bulk form. Stick with the more popular places like pipes & cigars, smoking pipes, etc. and I think you’ll be just fine with bulk.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I kinda wondered if the bulk was almost like the "seconds", as in they fill tins with the best and then make bulk bags with what's left.

Thanks for the insight fella, I appreciate it. 👍🏻

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I kinda wondered if the bulk was almost like the "seconds", as in they fill tins with the best and then make bulk bags with what's left.

Thanks for the insight fella, I appreciate it. 👍🏻
My pleasure to help out. No I don’t think it’s like that at all. I believe it’s the same tobacco as the tins it’s just shipped and handled in a bulk format. On the other hand if the person fulfilling your order gives you the dregs of what’s left in the bag/jar it could be more like “seconds.” I have not had that experience from the places mentioned, but I’m not a heavy pipe smoker at 1-2 bowls a week if that.

If you look through the bulk section on the pipes & cigars site you’ll see many of the blends get 4&5 star ratings from multiple reviewers. Folks would likely complain if they weren’t happy with their product. I like that page too because of the info and reviews given for each product given all in one place which makes it easier to make an informed decision. You’ll see that something like Peter Stokkebye luxury bullseye flake and navy flake are comparable quality to their escudo and Orlik counterparts but at half the cost. Great choices for an all day everyday VaPer.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My pleasure to help out. No I don’t think it’s like that at all. I believe it’s the same tobacco as the tins it’s just shipped and handled in a bulk format. On the other hand if the person fulfilling your order gives you the dregs of what’s left in the bag/jar it could be more like “seconds.” I have not had that experience from the places mentioned, but I’m not a heavy pipe smoker at 1-2 bowls a week if that.

If you look through the bulk section on the pipes & cigars site you’ll see many of the blends get 4&5 star ratings from multiple reviewers. Folks would likely complain if they weren’t happy with their product. I like that page too because of the info and reviews given for each product given all in one place which makes it easier to make an informed decision. You’ll see that something like Peter Stokkebye luxury bullseye flake and navy flake are comparable quality to their escudo and Orlik counterparts but at half the cost. Great choices for an all day everyday VaPer.

I noticed that too, on Smoking Pipes, that a lot of the reviews, people were comparing the some of the bulk blends to tin blends, for those interested in economical tobaccos.

It's good that there's seemingly, nothing funny about the bulk stuff. I guess I'm a skeptical fella sometimes, and it made me wonder.

I appreciate ya Sir.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've started utilizing the benefits, for me anyway, of pipes and started taking a bowl with me out to the garage, so I can have one throughout the day, while I work.

I still smoke my nightly cigarillo and my bigger cigar when I come back from working in the country, but the convenience of pipes, just seems to work out better for me. I like being able to take a couple puffs, sit it down and come back to it whenever.