Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So after reading a couple threads where pickaroons were mentioned, I did some research about them. Made me realize that it might allow me to split wood longer, as bending to pick up rounds is what wears me out. My back can only take so much. I found a Forrester brand online and it will be here this week. Will update whether it was worth it or not. Those that use them swear by them.

Larry

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made one last year out of an old axe head after reading about them here. Looks neat and works ok but I never use it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOuld like to hear preferences on brands. I'm considering one.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOuld like to hear preferences on brands. I'm considering one.
I looked at all of them, there seems to be quite a range as to price and materials. I like wood over metal or composites, but may end up with a metal or composite if I like the concept. If this thing allows me to spend more time chopping and cutting, then I will probably try some of the others. Can never have too many tools.

This is a new thing for me. Should be here Thursday, I will comment on it after I try it.

Larry

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why don't you use it? What makes it a non use for you? Curious.

I guess I just don’t find it useful enough to grab. It sits in the corner of the garage. I actually used it so little I cut the handle off for another project last spring. It’s just the head sitting there.

Timjus

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i made my hook from al-flat bar and installed steel tip to it . its must tool for running long log splitter with lift table.
how i use it
48" log splitter splitting firewood logs - YouTube
picture.php

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess I just don’t find it useful enough to grab. It sits in the corner of the garage. I actually used it so little I cut the handle off for another project last spring. It’s just the head sitting there.
Maybe someone can use it, offer it for sale, someone would take it. Or you may just decide to try again someday. Thanks for the explanation.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update:
My hookaroon showed up today and I got to try it out. I got the 28" handle, cause that was what I reasonably expected to need. I used it to pull some cedar and oak rounds I have had stacked up for a few years. Well. It works great, it came sharp enough to dig into and hold a 12" oak or cedar round to pick up and stand for splitting. It will also go into the end grain to lift rounds. Holds them solidly, and doesn't take much to remove. As long as you plan for enough angle to reverse the hook out.

It did take me a few minutes of use to get the hang of it, but it was a short learning curve. Not sure I would want it shorter, and a little longer wouldn't matter much either. Will decide if I need a longer one when I am bucking logs. So far it seems handy, like a pocket on a shirt.

It is branded Forrester, there are no other markings, but I suspect maybe India manufacture of the steel.

Larry
IMG_5867.jpg IMG_5866.jpg

big_eddy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update:
My hookaroon showed up today and I got to try it out. I got the 28" handle, cause that was what I reasonably expected to need. I used it to pull some cedar and oak rounds I have had stacked up for a few years. Well. It works great, it came sharp enough to dig into and hold a 12" oak or cedar round to pick up and stand for splitting. It will also go into the end grain to lift rounds. Holds them solidly, and doesn't take much to remove. As long as you plan for enough angle to reverse the hook out.

It did take me a few minutes of use to get the hang of it, but it was a short learning curve. Not sure I would want it shorter, and a little longer wouldn't matter much either. Will decide if I need a longer one when I am bucking logs. So far it seems handy, like a pocket on a shirt.

It is branded Forrester, there are no other markings, but I suspect maybe India manufacture of the steel.

Larry
View attachment 327611 View attachment 327612

One of the first things you will figure out is to always swing it sideways and away from your legs.

My husqvarna started with a 34” handle. It’s down to about 30” now. I have not really noticed the difference. I would not be without mine when cutting blocks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the first things you will figure out is to always swing it sideways and away from your legs.

My husqvarna started with a 34” handle. It’s down to about 30” now. I have not really noticed the difference. I would not be without mine when cutting blocks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I use an imicasa machete to cut some brush at my place. Swinging away is such a good idea, I have it ingrained in my psyche! Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are nice for use around a wood pile, splitting, unloading a trailer, etc. Not something I am likely to carry into the woods.

I like the ones with a wood handle, and a head that can be driven slightly into the wood, to pick up a round, not just pull it.

Philbert

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much do you want for the head, what kind. I’ll rehang it.
I use mine all the time, especially at the splitter.
Some have more curves than others, the harder the wood the harder to stick. A little learning curve to use. Great tool to use a little slower but lot easier than bending over every time for me.
Mine is a council tool made in North Carolina.

Last edited:

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much do you want for the head, what kind. I’ll rehang it.
I use mine all the time, especially at the splitter.
Some have more curves than others, the harder the wood the harder to stick. A little learning curve to use. Great tool to use a little slower but lot easier than bending over every time for me.
Mine is a council tool made in North Carolina.
I’d send it to you for the cost of shipping if you really want it. My work schedule is crazy right now, I’ll get a pic this weekend. You saw it’s homemade right? I don’t know what brand it is, It’s old though.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I looked at all of them, there seems to be quite a range as to price and materials. I like wood over metal or composites, but may end up with a metal or composite if I like the concept. If this thing allows me to spend more time chopping and cutting, then I will probably try some of the others. Can never have too many tools.

This is a new thing for me. Should be here Thursday, I will comment on it after I try it.

Larry

A set of log tongs are a back saver also Larry
I have a small and large set of bako’s. Love them
I think its IIT makes a good set too

Sent from Hoskey hilltop