Outdoor wood boiler

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking for opinions on OWB's? Originally was planning on a new furnace or stove but the idea of the fire and mess outdoors is appealing. I don't know much about them except it's a pretty big investment. Would it be worth buying one second hand?

showrguy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, I got one for sale..
Mahoning model 400, multi fuel, wood, coal, gas(propane), unit hold 352 gal. Of water..

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with used.

Some of the simple low feature boilers are fairly reasonable.

Big thing with a owb is get the best underground lines you can afford. In the end the higher priced units just use less wood.

Seems about the 10 year mark, most are needing repairs, mainly around the door frame/chimney.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used a Woodmaster 434 for 10+ years, then sold it to my neighbor and he is still running it with no problems. Replaced 434 with Woodmaster 3300. Reason for going with a owb was to keep mess out of house and reduce fire risk. Should have purchased one 30 years ago. Just keep ash rotated and burn it clean, ( product of combustion is water vapor) so you can see bottom of stove once a week or more often. Ash and moisture do not mix, will destroy mild steel in a short time.

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bout 2 hrs from PA border near Utica NY

StihlKicking

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a hardy h2 and love it. For my house and situation a OWB is the only way I would choose to heat with wood. If I had a smaller different design house I would consider a stove. I love the mess staying outside along with any danger associated with fire. I bought this particular unit new last year and installed it for about $8000. I did all the work myself except for the HVAC tie in. I have endless DHW and 160 degree air at the register all from burning deadfall from the farm. It saves me about $600 a year in propane and about $1800 in electricity. Not a bad payback on the initial investment. I've seen some really good used OWBs and some really bad ones just have to make sure what your getting.
d8b3a6e17ea1635787425ce5b7b29707.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Lang

New OPE Member
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don't know much about outdoor wood boiler, but I have been using commercial boiler in my building. It's very hard to identify which type of boiler is suitable for your commercial or residential building as it's a pretty big investment therefore on my friend's recommendation, I have called a boiler technician for choosing the best boiler according to my needs. You can check here and get more information about boilers.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had my Central boiler for 15 years, I love it. I agree with the pex, buy once cry once. These are not "true boilers" as they are an open system, the water jacket is vented to the atmosphere, so they don't build pressure.