High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Opinions on the "newest" model ms261/ms261cm and the husky 550 please help!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive had every modern 50cc saw in just about every version.

The new 261s are tits.
Good deal, did you prefer the mtronic or standard carb, in the new models....have you ran the new 241 by chance...

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
well yea...you have to replace the crankshaft when the big end bearing fails. its not that hard.
No crank bearing ain't that bad to do....

Did they just get a bad batch of bearings you think???

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No crank bearing ain't that bad to do....

Did they just get a bad batch of bearings you think???
I think stihl knows there was a problem with the crankshafts...they have to know because I told them about everyone I got. plus I wasn't the only ones seeing failures. coulda had a bad batch of cranks...who knows. but I do believe they made some sort of improvement. I may or may not have an alleged, heard through the grapevine, serial number break of when they changed...but i cant confirm with any certainty that they were in fact changed.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal, did you prefer the mtronic or standard carb, in the new models....have you ran the new 241 by chance...

I have 2 241s , a ported one and a muffler modded one.

When mtrons work the way they are supposed to they are impossible not to love as a worksaw.

I know people always say " when in the woods id rather have an adjustable saw " ..idk why...if something breaks on a saw whats it matter if you can adjust your carburator or if you cant ? ....serious question.

Last edited:

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

When mtrons work the way they are supposed to they are impossible not to love as a worksaw.

I know people always say " when in the woods id rather have an adjustable saw " ..idk why...if something breaks on a saw whats it matter if you can adjust your carburator or if you cant ? ....serious question.
Well put... :imwithstupid:

Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info thanks!!!

So if they were both going to be left stock, does the 261 still have more power/torque for the bigger stuff than the 550????

Is your 261 the new edition, is it the mtronic or regular carb...
The 261 has a little more torque in stock form IMO. My 261 is Mtronic.
Both in stock form, I'd probably pick the 550. The 261 has the absolute superior air filtration though.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think stihl knows there was a problem with the crankshafts...they have to know because I told them about everyone I got. plus I wasn't the only ones seeing failures. coulda had a bad batch of cranks...who knows. but I do believe they made some sort of improvement. I may or may not have an alleged, heard through the grapevine, serial number break of when they changed...but i cant confirm with any certainty that they were in fact changed.
Lol funny you say that...a guy showed me a pick of a "rebuild kit today"....he was hush about it....I asked him if they are fixing them now and he said "I believe so"....

I will say I will NOT buy one until I find out for sure, who would???

If they made this "kit" then there was no doubt a issue!!!
IMG_2282.PNG

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

When mtrons work the way they are supposed to they are impossible not to love as a work saw.

I would say guys are talking about the solenoid and whatever parts make up the mtronic....people just don't want to have a "newer" saw and have to worry about if/when the solenoid will malfunction....

But it's just a guess....

So how do you like the 241 that is muff modded???

I have heard guys say they love them....I have also heard they are very close in price....what are the running prices on both....

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say guys are talking about the solenoid and whatever parts make up the mtronic....people just don't want to have a "newer" saw and have to worry about if/when the solenoid will malfunction....

But it's just a guess....

So how do you like the 241 that is muff modded???

I have heard guys say they love them....I have also heard they are very close in price....what are the running prices on both....

I get smokin deals on saws so you cant go by me..i paid 459 PHO for my last 241.

If you have a 60cc saw a 241 will make you very happy..they rip with just a muffler mod..i put the rim kits on mine too so i can swap to .325 if i feel like it and it has no problem pullin the P7 rim.

I think 60/40 is a sweet saw combo.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 261 has a little more torque in stock form IMO. My 261 is Mtronic.
Both in stock form, I'd probably pick the 550. The 261 has the absolute superior air filtration though.
Do you really like the handling of the 550....

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get smokin deals on saws so you cant go by me..i paid 459 PHO for my last 241.

If you have a 60cc saw a 241 will make you very happy..they rip with just a muffler mod..i put the rim kits on mine too so i can swap to .325 if i feel like it and it has no problem pullin the P7 rim.

I think 60/40 is a sweet saw combo.
Yes the 024 I have pulls the 16" .325 without any problem at all!!!

I got a saw buddy that told me he can get me the 261 in mtronic or the standard carb, in the newest model for $520 PHO.....I don't know if that's great or not....

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey thanks for reply!!!

How long have you had the 550, did yours have the bogging issue.....I haven't looked, what are the brand new 550 selling for???
Got it last year with toasted top end. Replaced with oem p/c. Never had any bog issue. Did a simple mm and i really like it. Light and nimble.
I use 262 for medium and 385 or 046 for larger stuff.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive had every modern 50cc saw in just about every version.

The new 261s are tits.
This guy would know! A couple 261's and a couple 241's in his stable! He's the reason I have a new model MS261cm on the way. That is after its ported![emoji6]

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a new 550xp in January. It is unbelievable how well it balances in your hands. Antivibe is smooth. It had the bog for about the first half gallon of fuel. Now it's awesome! I have learned with autotune you can't let them sit and idle like you can with a standard carb or they start to readjust the mixture. Just shut it off while you move brush or roll a log and then restart it. Mine has always been a one pull start hot IF you follow the hot start procedure. I won't buy a standard carb again on a new saw. I'm convinced mtronic or autotune is the way to go.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky 550, no dual spike/roller catcher option like the 261. MS261 has large mount so you can share bars right up to 660. Small mount husky bars are generally smaller/lighter for their inch size. Throttle response definitely goes to the 550 as does balance/size. Air filter on 261 is much better. No manual/standard carb option on 550. Better master control on 550 for restarts...just pull starter & go. Micro spline size rims on 261 kinda suck making you use expensive OEM replacement sprockets. 550 wants to roll off like its on a hill when you place it down. I own a 550 & a couple of MS261's they are both good saws that are quite different in personality, not ready to sell either. Take the reported negatives on each saw with a grain of salt. Either model will give a home firewood user MANY years of service if maintained properly.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice, how do you like it as is, just stock....
Just opened to box. Pretty saw.

I, for one, won't miss needing a screwdriver in the woods.

It's light, but about the same size as an 036. Ported, my 036 make about double the power this little saw does stock. The 036/360 are heavier though.

IMG_0228.JPG IMG_0229.JPG