High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Old Mag buy: Decent deal or Nah?

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Locally, there's a decent looking (no idea compression, crank, P&C, etc) Pioneer Farm Saw for about $100. It feels decent and I'm thinking about adding it to the stable. How well do these old reed valve saws run and how reliable/strong are they?

If it's in good working order, is it worth $100?

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locally, there's a decent looking (no idea compression, crank, P&C, etc) Pioneer Farm Saw for about $100. It feels decent and I'm thinking about adding it to the stable. How well do these old reed valve saws run and how reliable/strong are they?

I’m still running dads poulan pro 655 it has tons of torque. That can be made into real strong runners. Excellent long bar saw if you ask me. Which model of pioneer is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good old saws....weak recoil on the farm saw though.

@p61 western might know if a p50 or 51 recoil will work.
The recoil is a weak link, but if it hasn't been abused it will be fine. Unfortunately that starter set up was limited to pretty much just to the Farmsaw. They were also notorious for losing spark. The coils can be baked in a oven at 200 degrees for 2 hours, and that normally brings them back to life. If not they can be found on eBay. If it has spark and the starter is okay I would go for it. For a old saw they are pretty darn good runners. Keep us posted if you get the saw. Oh and it has a auto decomp set up, so the compression will feel a little low always.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'll have to go back and take a look at it. I just saw farm saw on the side, I didn't look for the specific model designation. I didn't try to crank it, but from a basic exterior inspection, it looked pretty good. I'll probably just buy it and try it out. Worst case I can probably flip it and at least get my money back. I think it has a 20" bar on it right now, either .063 or .058 chain gauge.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to go back and take a look at it. I just saw farm saw on the side, I didn't look for the specific model designation. I didn't try to crank it, but from a basic exterior inspection, it looked pretty good. I'll probably just buy it and try it out. Worst case I can probably flip it and at least get my money back. I think it has a 20" bar on it right now, either .063 or .058 chain gauge.
I have some parts if need something. I think you will like the saw. I have a couple runners here. One my dad bought new in 1979.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IIRC, the P41 didn’t use the blue Prestolite coil of death.

Maybe points. [emoji106]

They did have narrow/thin rings.
No blue coil or points. The p40 was the end of the points. A win win lol.