jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way it started acting at around 2:31 sounds similar to an MS-200T a member here was having trouble with that they found out had a cracked carb body. So I'm wondering if
something is physically wrong with the carburetor (maybe a casting flaw in the body of the carburetor).

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's got to be getting air somewhere. But why does it go back to idle with a little load? time to run it with the cover off to watch for binding. If there is none start looking for leaks. Maybe spray the carb while it's running.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The way it started acting at around 2:31 sounds similar to an MS-200T a member here was having trouble with that they found out had a cracked carb body. So I'm wondering if
something is physically wrong with the carburetor (maybe a casting flaw in the body of the carburetor).

Could a cracked carb cause the pulsing at the beginning too?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Could a cracked carb cause the pulsing at the beginning too?

Possibly, if it's leaking enough air. I doubt that's the problem here but there could be some kind of casting flaw. I've never seen a 462 in person
so I'm not familiar enough with the carb configuration to say for sure.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al and I have both had problems with the 261, but it’s different than this. The 261‘s were overheating due to not being able to provide enough fuel and the M Tronics would shut itself down and prevent full throttle for about 10 seconds until it cooled off. It would then cut fine until it started overheating again. The longer you waited, the longer it would cut fine. Which was what clued us (and TM) in on the overheat issue. This 462 seems to still cut fine wide open when this happens, where the 261 would not. So I don’t think the problems are related

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MS 462 carb does not have a carburetor with an end cover that includes a air valve like it is built on the MS 362. In the carb of the MS 462 is a baffle plate between the choke and throttle shutter that separates the fresh fuel mix and clean air paths from one another.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I dont know if the Carburator are the same But this is a problem to check.
The problem sounds similar to this, but the 362 has the upper butterfly for fresh strato air and 462 only has one carburetor. The top half is for fresh air and the bottom half gets mixed with fuel.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al and I have both had problems with the 261, but it’s different than this. The 261‘s were overheating due to not being able to provide enough fuel and the M Tronics would shut itself down and prevent full throttle for about 10 seconds until it cooled off. It would then cut fine until it started overheating again. The longer you waited, the longer it would cut fine. Which was what clued us (and TM) in on the overheat issue. This 462 seems to still cut fine wide open when this happens, where the 261 would not. So I don’t think the problems are related

In that case Al, keep diagnosing like any other chainsaw. Once filter and lines are known to be good, pressure test the carburetor at the fuel inlet to 7ps1 if that checks out pressure test the entire saw through the carburetor, block off at the air inlet side and pinch hoses off. Check linkages, wire connections and such. If you can't find anything after searching the saw over, take it to Stihl and have it hooked up to a computer and see what kind of clues it gives.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem sounds similar to this, but the 362 has the upper butterfly for fresh strato air and 462 only has one carburetor. The top half is for fresh air and the bottom half gets mixed with fuel.

That's why I asked if he modded the carb in any way. I've seen a slightly misaligned throttle plate act like this before.

Gary Courtney

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes a fuel/oil ratio below 50:1 (like 40:1, 32:1) can give trouble, depending on the viscosity of the oil, maybe it`s a possible reason. Also which m-tronic version is this saw? See the version on the front hand guard sticker, circle in the picture. Also what is written on the control unit?
View attachment 225214
run 32-1 in both 462 and 661 no problems