O38av super

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been lurking reading through this site for months.Its got me looking through Craiglist pawn shops yard sales you name it looking for saws.Super nice forum you all have hear.Im not a logger by any means I burn wood for my primary source of heat usually I burn 8 to 9 cords a year depending how much I'm home and how cold it gets.My father gave me an old 038 last year said he couldn't swing it anymore.I cut most of my wood with it last year.Ran decent a little slower than the 051 husky I've been running.I pulled a compression test on it today and it was around 100 bled off pretty quick.I pulled the muffler and the piston was scored pretty bad.I pulled the jug and it had transfer from top to bottom on the exhaust side.It cleaned up using a split and 300 grit sandpaper paper.I ran some ultre fine sanding sponge behind it and I'm pretty pleased with the jug I think it will be ok.My question is who has a good piston and rings .It's got double rings in it now.Thanks Rodney

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s the 50mm jug correct?

Pics of the jug?

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe you are right

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It never seized.It was still running when I pulled the jug.The spark plugs was loose in it when I got it and the top cover has a hole burnt in it right above the muffler.I don't have my vacuum pressure checker yet been looking at the mighty vacs.The saw has been ran hard I'm sure my old man never took care of anything.Every farm hand we ever had run it.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like you said, they are pretty hefty, partially because they are built like a tank... Worth fixing it right, if you have to cut 8 or 9 cord per year. I would put a bunch of new rubber parts on while you are working it over. Get OEM if you can. China rubber is junk in my book.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the input most of the rubber is shot on it.It is a fairly heavy saw to be limbing with.Id like to get it back together as a back up saw.Who makes the best pistons for it.I don't care to go back oem but if I can save money that's ok too.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate the input most of the rubber is shot on it.It is a fairly heavy saw to be limbing with.Id like to get it back together as a back up saw.Who makes the best pistons for it.I don't care to go back oem but if I can save money that's ok too.

Gotta find out if it’s a 50mm before we point you in any direction for a piston

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sleeper that's cheap enough.I was expecting at least a hundred bucks.

Car wash guy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Appreciate it fellers.I really like messing with these saws.Im sure I will be asking more questions as time goes thanks Rodney