O28 Super Oiling Issues

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here is the deal.I put a used oil pump gears clutch needle bearings and everything else from the engine clutch side out. A New Bar 325 by 18 with RS chain. The pump is oiling well but very little is going onto the bar. The bar fits flush onto the side of the saw. From what I am able to see is the teeth from the chain are not down inside the bar to catch the oil.I have more oil leaking down below the clutch than on the bar and chain. The bar and chain are bran new, the oiler holes on the bare are clean and free of obstructions.Any suggestions?Thanks, KenStihl O28 super Paint 3 Yes (2).jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My filter was clogged on my super I dumped the oil and sprayed carb cleaner through it .I hope yours is that simple .

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As mentioned the oiler is performing well/The problem is the drive links are not down far enough into the bar to catch any significant amount of oil.Opening the oiler hole in the bar will not aid the situation.This will only allow more oil to run out and down near the clutch. I may try a heavier bar oil.The only thing else to do is put the bar on a grinder and lower the drive links into the flow of oil. This is a bit drastic but it would solve the issue.As of now the very lower tip of the drive link is receiving the lubrication.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As mentioned the oiler is performing well/The problem is the drive links are not down far enough into the bar to catch any significant amount of oil.Opening the oiler hole in the bar will not aid the situation.This will only allow more oil to run out and down near the clutch. I may try a heavier bar oil.The only thing else to do is put the bar on a grinder and lower the drive links into the flow of oil. This is a bit drastic but it would solve the issue.As of now the very lower tip of the drive link is receiving the lubrication.
pumps pushing oil but not pushing enough.double check your worm side of the plastic drive gear.and like said before check your filter in the tank.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good suggestion. I will flush out the oil tank with mix and see what happens. This makes a lot of sense.Ken

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Post some pics of the bar oil hole with the chain on it. And some of the bar pad on the saw. Maybe the oil hole is drilled wrong on the bar. Stihl bars have a dam in the grove at the oil hole, could be missing or b out of place.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the chain sprocket a Chinese aftermarket one?

I have stopped using them with a very bad strike rate.
The one that came on the 044 my brother bought was too deep and had killed the work gear by pushing down on it, bending the spring back. Oregon unit fit perfect.
The one I bought off ebay for my 026 sits too high and only just engages the worm gear spring when pushed right in. it has a touch of float in it, as it should, but when it floats out under load, the worm gear spring comes out of the slot.

If your getting any oil into the bar, the chain when moving at speed in the groove will pick it up. Its not going to just dribble back and out at the back with the saw running at WOT.
Is it throwing oil off the bar tip at full revs?