O25 Cover Bolt

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK so here is the deal.My 025 has had oiler issues for a while.The pump is working as I can see oil exiting the hole on the side of the saw. The bar is clean of debri.The wholes do line up.Anyway while running the say the chain is not getting oil but there is oil dripping out under the clutch cover. Anyway after an extensive examination I noticed the forward stud for the bar was not flush with the case. Anyay I put two bar nuts on the stud and was surprised to find it loose.I attempted to screw it in but after seeing it spinning around I removed the stud.Plastic threads all over it. So now after a complete cleaning it with brake cleaner I filled the hole with JB weld and screwed in the stud. If this doesn't hold what are my options?Could I drill the hole completely through the case and install a bolt from the inside out? I stopped buy my local Stihl dealer and asked there opinion. $125 for the cover plus labor. Forget it. This saw was a rental before I got my hands on it.I put in new clutch springs and a new carburetor plus a new bar. Thanks Ken

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One option if everything else fails is to buy a new plastic cradle for the engine and take your parts and install on it. They sell them new on ebay for less than $40 and they're pretty good quality with new studs and oil pump already installed.

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr Fish, The oversized stud has now been superseded to a new number however, my "Friendly" Stihl dealer ordered one for me. $9 and change.Should be here a week from today However yesterday early afternoon I cleaned the aperture and filled it with JB weld, then inserted the stud.(let me think about this statement) Anyway the potion appears to be holding and the chain is now recieving oil the way it was meant to be. I snuggled the bar nut down but not to tight.Saw now appears to be in near perfect working order.Thank you for your assistance, Ken

Here's where the 025 is going.Uncharted waters.20190724_201827[1].jpg

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are times when JB Weld simply amazes me. Threadlock adhesive may also have worked. A few years back a customer gave me an 024 with a similar problem but much worse. I ended up hollowing out the end of a 7/16" bolt and then threading the drilled out hole for the metric stud threads. All had to be done using a drill press and jigs that I made.

I tapped 7/16" threads into the case and then secured my "masterpiece" to the case with thread adhesive, screwed the stud in tight to the case, and believe it or not, the saw works today.