Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you guys need something to make fun of me for in the future..

I never thought I'd say this..

But I listened to a show Dr. Phil did this morning and it was spot on..our coming generations are in BIG trouble.

Which is why we all need to guide the ones that try to follow in our footsteps. We will never fix the entire problem, but we all can do what we can.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree guys go as long as they can until the weather gets bad, this year they went all year to some degree but I don’t get every tree guys sharpening yet just 3 of them, but I may have a couple big ones in the works and if that happens I’ll maybe have to buy one. I also am doing the chains for a local guy that rents a firewood processor but that’s .404 just like the local logger that has me do his.
If you are at minimum making $10/chain (I hope you’re at least that high) then you should be making minimum $300/wk most of the year. With a automatic grinder, you take a minute to setup the depth of the grind for each individual chain at the time you swap it out, but then you get to walk away and make money working on something else while it grinds for 5-10 minutes. It pays for itself that way as well. I setup and used a Franzen when I managed the Stihl dealer and it was well worth it not tying up a tech or parts guy to sharpen chains for an afternoon.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning fellas and ??? pronouns

17 on the way to 33 and cloudy but no snow in the forecast

I will now drink my morning beverage of choice, which shall remain nameless for fear of triggering someone and being responsible for hurt feelers and therapy bills

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are at minimum making $10/chain (I hope you’re at least that high) then you should be making minimum $300/wk most of the year. With a automatic grinder, you take a minute to setup the depth of the grind for each individual chain at the time you swap it out, but then you get to walk away and make money working on something else while it grinds for 5-10 minutes. It pays for itself that way as well. I setup and used a Franzen when I managed the Stihl dealer and it was well worth it not tying up a tech or parts guy to sharpen chains for an afternoon.
Yeah I don’t think at the moment I have that volume where I can grind while working on a saw, kinda on the fence how deep I want to go at the moment. Lots of the tree guys stuff is fairly new and not a lot of breaking stuff unless it’s self inflicted. I haven’t advertised because I’m doing it out of my house and trying to keep the traffic down at my house. So the repairs have been at work they drop off and pick up out of my truck or the tree guys who know me and text ahead then just drop off and pick up. So for the moment I have time to sit and grind chains in between. There is a big power line clearing outfit a guy I work with has an in-law that’s higher up there and was looking for someone to do their saws other than the main local shop so if in get their saws I’ll probably need a grinder. After seeing the price I’ll sharpen by hand for now 26,000$ is a lot of chains and I’m charging 7-10$ per chain depending on length.

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I don’t think at the moment I have that volume where I can grind while working on a saw, kinda on the fence how deep I want to go at the moment. Lots of the tree guys stuff is fairly new and not a lot of breaking stuff unless it’s self inflicted. I haven’t advertised because I’m doing it out of my house and trying to keep the traffic down at my house. So the repairs have been at work they drop off and pick up out of my truck or the tree guys who know me and text ahead then just drop off and pick up. So for the moment I have time to sit and grind chains in between. There is a big power line clearing outfit a guy I work with has an in-law that’s higher up there and was looking for someone to do their saws other than the main local shop so if in get their saws I’ll probably need a grinder. After seeing the price I’ll sharpen by hand for now 26,000$ is a lot of chains and I’m charging 7-10$ per chain depending on length.
The Franzen’s are top of the line. Oregon makes an automated grinder for $7-8k that would probably suit you better. There are others out there also. Just food for thought. I have quite a few people bringing me chains as well, and have considered other options myself.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good morning folks. I’m expecting 4 chainsaws in the mail today. I’m dreading leaving for the weekend and not having internet and then having to catch up on probably 10 pages of this thread.

Probably be 20 pages. What kind of saws are you expecting? Can we see some pictures of them?

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably be 20 pages. What kind of saws are you expecting? Can we see some pictures of them?
An Echo Kioritz 451VL and 3 Echo Kioritz 302s including the JD variant. They didn’t come yet. Hopefully I can post pics of them on Sunday or Monday.
Let us make it 20 pages, and he left at noon.
Falling a little behind, we’re leaving in 20 minutes now.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afternoon pullers of the pud. Had a great morning learning about making snack sticks. We put those and the brats from last night in smokers. I ran home to fry up some left over snack stick mix and do my therapy. Neighbor has been so nice in teaching me all this. He started doing it as a kid with his grandpa and father. Not sure how in depth I will venture into this aspect of smoking but it’s been enjoyable.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An Echo Kioritz 451VL and 3 Echo Kioritz 302s including the JD variant. They didn’t come yet. Hopefully I can post pics of them on Sunday or Monday.

Falling a little behind, we’re leaving in 20 minutes now.
Made a liar out of me twice. Now git!