Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey ladies, and kids…and Dall.

Bucked some logs and got another 3,000 bd ft marked and scaled. Have to finish that another day. Starting a new property tomorrow, weather dependent. Supposed to rain they say. We’ll see about that… Also picked up another small tree harvest to do this spring yet - walked a job that was supposed to be just “a few trees” that turned into a small scale logging gig. Win for me.

Sounds like you need some help. Ever skid logs at 55mph before? Dead ones smoke on pavement. Maybe next time I’ll see if I can get one to actually catch on fire 😆

IMG_5651.jpeg

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few years ago we were doing a big densglass (exterior board) job, 3 days of rain that week, I stopped at wally world, and bought a bunch of them cheap rain slickers in the camping section for the crew. Yes it sucked, yes our tools got wet, but the show went on, and we got that damn job done on time.

Wonder if the Rygaard crew ever logged in the rain, or if they stayed home instead?

View attachment 410425

I ain't stirring up this pot/subject anymore. Don't want things getting out of hand.
The misunderstanding is that I am not afraid to work on the rain. The rain actually prevents my work from happening. Example: current property only had access to and through an alfalfa field. The rain makes it impassable, whether I like it or not, and also prevents me from work sometimes for 2-3 days after until it’s dry enough to access my job site again. I unfortunately don’t have rocky logging roads to take me to every job. Mud is what shuts me down. And what makes mud? That’s right, rain.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Foley's that were picked up on Friday received some attention.
This 550-1 did not initially spin up properly. The drive belt was out of alignment and was rather stiff. Bushings were cleaned and re-lubed.
Pully alignment made a good deal of improvement to the point that it could be used as is. However I'm picking up a new flexible belt in a couple of days.
20240303_141327.jpg20240303_141337.jpg.
Initial impression, This 550-1 is several steps improved over a HF sharpener.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The misunderstanding is that I am not afraid to work on the rain. The rain actually prevents my work from happening. Example: current property only had access to and through an alfalfa field. The rain makes it impassable, whether I like it or not, and also prevents me from work sometimes for 2-3 days after until it’s dry enough to access my job site again. I unfortunately don’t have rocky logging roads to take me to every job. Mud is what shuts me down. And what makes mud? That’s right, rain.

I understand where mud comes from. It was just a light hearted jab, the gen X vs millennial thing, I didn't really mean for it to drag out. It was just for a laugh or two.

I almost didn't even post the reply, I considered back spacing it, then said fug it, and hit the post button. We can stop talking about it now.

Lol

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 308, seems to be fine with just a cleaning and re-lube. I'll add a fresh belt just to be sure, however the 020-2L - 2 rib belt on this grinder is probably just fine as is..
I need to add a pull-down handle to this one as the factory plastic one was broken off and missing. See 1/4-20 threaded hole in the top right of the one image.
If I'm lucky on the handle, either Grainger or Acme tools will have something in stock to nearly complete and put both of these back into regular service. Some of the woodworking sites have them for about 2 bucks plus shipping, but I don't want to wait that long.
20240303_151337.jpg 20240303_151758.jpg 20240303_151407.jpg

Last edited:

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you need some help. Ever skid logs at 55mph before? Dead ones smoke on pavement. Maybe next time I’ll see if I can get one to actually catch on fire 😆

View attachment 410428
I call *B-S....
No damn way a dodge can get that fast pulling a log
Unless it’s the size of a fence post from 100 years ago lol

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few years ago we were doing a big densglass (exterior board) job, 3 days of rain that week, I stopped at wally world, and bought a bunch of them cheap rain slickers in the camping section for the crew. Yes it sucked, yes our tools got wet, but the show went on, and we got that damn job done on time.

Wonder if the Rygaard crew ever logged in the rain, or if they stayed home instead?

View attachment 410425

I ain't stirring up this pot/subject anymore. Don't want things getting out of hand.
What's the over under on the pot stirring?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning men, busy week last week, couple more weeks until vacation. Rain in the forecast a bunch this week, liquid sunshine. Sorry Andy, things just won't grow without it.
It can rain all it wants in TN lol

We’re still a month out from any safe crop planting because of soil temps and whatnot. We got time up here for it to rain later.