GoldMember
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're fired.
We don't roof like you guys.
I get how overlapping each successive course from bottom to top courses works, but what stops water ingress through the vertical overlaps within each course?

pictures or it didnt happen

the overlaps are not laid in the same spot they are staggered

Yeah I get that, but it's still a vertical line where water runs.
Or are shingles "sticky" so the overlaps "seal" ?
All of this, plus the shingles are three ply thick at the bottom edge, and staggered joints. At the lowest edge of these Timberline dimensional shingles, there is a run of "tar" that melts when the sun warms them and that seals it.

JoeDirt

Piss Jug Tosser
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of this, plus the shingles are three ply thick at the bottom edge, and staggered joints. At the lowest edge of these Timberline dimensional shingles, there is a run of "tar" that melts when the sun warms them and that seals it.
I think it is interesting that everyone used to do 3 tab, now everyone does the dimensional/architectural ones and you hardly ever see 3 tab.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
im of the opinion that the UAW is garbage. some of the stupidest, most worthless people ive ever met were gm/ford retirees living like kings after pushing a button on an assembly line for 20 years. unions have a time and a place, but the UAW’s time has long since passed. im prepared to be flamed.
Right there with you

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually completely agree with you. Every foreign manufacturer that has plants in the US is non-union, doesn't have these issues and builds arguably better vehicles, so what exactly is the UAW accomplishing?

They'll get what they want, then the manufacturers won't be able to afford to pay them, so they'll outsource their jobs, then the workers will be crying that Detroit three betrayed them.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
4:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I actually completely agree with you. Every foreign manufacturer that has plants in the US is non-union, doesn't have these issues and builds arguably better vehicles, so what exactly is the UAW accomplishing?

They'll get what they want, then the manufacturers won't be able to afford to pay them, so they'll outsource their jobs, then the workers will be crying that Detroit three betrayed them.
yep.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it is interesting that everyone used to do 3 tab, now everyone does the dimensional/architectural ones and you hardly ever see 3 tab.
Here it’s the sheet metal roofing now, often don’t even tear off old shingles just mail strapping down and screw the metal down. But if any thing else is to be used it’s still 3 tab here

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it’s the sheet metal roofing now, often don’t even tear off old shingles just mail strapping down and screw the metal down. But if any thing else is to be used it’s still 3 tab here
From what I was told by a local contractor, is that architectural shingles hide the roofs imperfections a lot better, thus making the roof look nicer overall. Nothing wrong with 3 tab, they just show where the plywood doesn’t match at the seams, etc.. Most shingles in our area are architectural also..