maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Real trucks don’t shift themselves.

I’m not complaining. I enjoy having a manual transmission. Odometer reads 399,7++ miles and still going up everyday. Good service life if you ask me. Next one should last even longer now with me taking care of it and performing routine maintenance. When I changed oil in it initially, it already had brass from the synchros and was dark - likely had been overlooked by the previous owner most of its life.

I've been told by a few different people that build transmissions, that shifting a syno trans, without using the clutch, is hard on the synos, even if you don't grind gears while shifting sans the clutch.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been told by a few different people that build transmissions, that shifting a syno trans, without using the clutch, is hard on the synos, even if you don't grind gears while shifting sans the clutch.
I’ve heard this too. I always used the clutch in my pickup, until I couldn’t. I think what did the synchros in was a couple years ago the hydraulic slave cylinder failed on me while away from home, and I had to force it into gear a couple times at a couple intersections in the city. After that it never shifted the same, even after swapping oil. It never did shift “great” after I bought it, but I certainly didn’t help things that day. I’ve had to put 3 different sets of clutch hydraulics on it since then - they seem to be a weak point.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve heard this too. I always used the clutch in my pickup, until I couldn’t. I think what did the synchros in was a couple years ago the hydraulic slave cylinder failed on me while away from home, and I had to force it into gear a couple times at a couple intersections in the city. After that it never shifted the same, even after swapping oil. It never did shift “great” after I bought it, but I certainly didn’t help things that day. I’ve had to put 3 different sets of clutch hydraulics on it since then - they seem to be a weak point.

All of my trucks have been sticks, I've had a bunch of them, I've only ever had one hydro slave fail.

Put a carquest slave system in it, it lasted two weeks, pissed all the fluid out, got a new one under warranty, it lasted a month, pissed itself, got my money back, bought a OEM mopar one, it's still in the truck going strong 4 years later.

Some stuff I only buy OEM.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All of my trucks have been sticks, I've had a bunch of them, I've only ever had one hydro slave fail.

Put a carquest slave system in it, it lasted two weeks, pissed all the fluid out, got a new one under warranty, it lasted a month, pissed itself, got my money back, bought a OEM mopar one, it's still in the truck going strong 4 years later.

Some stuff I only buy OEM.
I just bought a South Bend hydro set with upgraded braided SS line, fully filled and bench bled. I’m done with the cheap ones too. If this one fails, I’ll give OEM a try.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought a South Bend hydro set with upgraded braided SS line, fully filled and bench bled. I’m done with the cheap ones too. If this one fails, I’ll give OEM a try.

South bend ones are supposed to be good I've heard. I've never had one thou.

I just know to stay away from the parts store ones.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
South bend ones are supposed to be good I've heard. I've never had one thou.

I just know to stay away from the parts store ones.
I hope it lives up to its expectations - it cost about 3x’s as much as a parts store replacement. It’s all going to be new once I swap this transmission: Flywheel, Clutch, Hydraulic’s, Transmission, and even a new Fluidampr Harmonic Balancer. Oh, and a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket too.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope it lives up to its expectations - it cost about 3x’s as much as a parts store replacement. It’s all going to be new once I swap this transmission: Flywheel, Clutch, Hydraulic’s, Transmission, and even a new Fluidampr Harmonic Balancer. Oh, and a new rear main seal and oil pan gasket too.

Dallas will want before & after pics of the trans swap for his/her spank bank files....

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 14-25-24 am71846_700bwp.webp (WEBP Image 700 × 1346 pixels) — Scaled ...png

1662313447310.jpeg

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure about posting in that thread anymore.

It just doesn't feel right, picking on kids.
But just think about how warm and fuzzy it would make you feel if you could help them further their careers so they can help take care of their daddy, @dall in his old age

Which starts next week

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But just think about how warm and fuzzy it would make you feel if you could help them further their careers so they can help take care of their daddy, @dall in his old age

Which starts next week

Thinking requires effort, I can't go around doing that.

Having feelings, would mean I cared.

I don't see either happening anytime soon. Certainly not next week.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dallas will want before & after pics of the trans swap for his/her spank bank files....

View attachment 414703

View attachment 414702
lol so that tranny drives dodge ?

Which starts next week
I’m not that damn old

lol we know you care lol

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So, no thinking happening any time soon

Check

Don’t give a damn

Check

Ever thought about running for public office?