Not So Pro 3

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you like cheese, Wisconsin has some amazing deep-fried cheese curds. You can find em in just about every restaurant up there, and it's really hard to find them anywhere else
That aint all either.
Sausage of all kinds is amazing from there, as well as cheese. Them fellers know a little about meat, and I dont mean that JUST in a Packers kinda way.;)

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A loin I'll cook to what the French consider "done". The USDA would not approve. The nice part is, though, you can finish the chops on a grill leftover the next day and still have a top notch product.View attachment 277198
Around here the local butchers have something similar in their cases, they call it "smoked pork chops". They're ok in a pinch but always more smoke and salt than flavor.

Yer killing me bro!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No need to crack on Southern cuisine. Everyone around here doesn't use mayo in BBQ sauce (nearly an abomination in my mind). However, if you come south we can put you on some BBQ and smoked meat with
sauce or no sauce that will make your tongue slap your brains out. Please don't roll all the culinary practices up in one ball of yarn. :cbiggrin2:
You Nothcalinians know anything about "Mopping" for slow roasting meat?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
11:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're making me hungry sir :D
Hickory is king here. There's quite a bit in this area. I like pecan also (sometimes even better).
I cooked for a local company back near Thanksgiving. The que was smoked with pecan. A guy worked there who had formerly worked at a popular BBQ joint here.
He ate the pork and really wanted to know what wood was used to smoke it. It was pecan. It has a more mellow flavor than hickory (to me). They ate every last scrap of
the pork. :cool:

I’ve only been doing this a year but I have found Pecan to be my favourite wood for smoking.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve only been doing this a year but I have found Pecan to be my favourite wood for smoking.
We don't have pecan here, and I'm too cheap to buy the walmart chunks. To me BBQ is about taking the cheap cuts and ingredients and making something awesome. Apple and Cherry is abundant, and there's nothing like the perfumey smell of cherry burning. The fruit woods are nice for fish but I ask anyone that wants me to smoke it to bring me enough to fill the smoker. I hate cleaning the barrel, lid, and bowl. I even clean the coal grate after salmon. *s-word sure is tasty though.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Po' boys are one of my weaknesses......been to New Orleans once, need to go back. Good BBQ is another addiction of mine. Lived in Texas for a spell and love Texas BBQ.......brisket deserves to be sliced, not shredded. A good friend from Tennessee introduced me to his people's vinegar based sauces.........that *s-word is goooddd (my favorite now). I like sweet bbq but it damn well better have some vinegar tang, some heat or both.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Po' boys are one of my weaknesses......been to New Orleans once, need to go back. Good BBQ is another addiction of mine. Lived in Texas for a spell and love Texas BBQ.......brisket deserves to be sliced, not shredded. A good friend from Tennessee introduced me to his people's vinegar based sauces.........that *s-word is goooddd (my favorite now). I like sweet bbq but it damn well better have some vinegar tang, some heat or both.
Juan have you been to the place in Lansing that advertises themselves all over the radio as "southern BBQ"? @Woodpecker ? I still haven't tried it and want to.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You Nothcalinians know anything about "Mopping" for slow roasting meat?
My TN buddy and I did a brisket in his barrel smoker with mequite....low and slow at 205-215, mopped every hour on the hour wif a vingar based moppy sauce. 16 hours and too much beer later, holy smokes I've never eaten anything so good!

Slumberjack

Team OPE benchwarmer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The poboys from my hometown would make you drool if you liked New Orleans.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We don't have pecan here, and I'm too cheap to buy the walmart chunks. To me BBQ is about taking the cheap cuts and ingredients and making something awesome. Apple and Cherry is abundant, and there's nothing like the perfumey smell of cherry burning. The fruit woods are nice for fish but I ask anyone that wants me to smoke it to bring me enough to fill the smoker. I hate cleaning the barrel, lid, and bowl. I even clean the coal grate after salmon. *s-word sure is tasty though.

Other than maple there is very little local wood that I would smoke with so I end up buying chunks. Cherry is some good stuff too. The brisket I did last week was Cherry and Tamara said best one yet.

Tim @cuinrearview guided me to a vinegar sauce that is the da bomb. Really goes well with pulled pork.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Juan have you been to the place in Lansing that advertises themselves all over the radio as "southern BBQ"? @Woodpecker ? I still haven't tried it and want to.
No sir, I have not. Only place we have eaten near or in Lansing was Old Nation Brewery.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other than maple there is very little local wood that I would smoke with so I end up buying chunks. Cherry is some good stuff too. The brisket I did last week was Cherry and Tamara said best one yet.

Tim @cuinrearview guided me to a vinegar sauce that is the da bomb. Really goes well with pulled pork.

I actually remembered to bookmark Tim’s link that he sent me. This is a great place to start...

https://meatwave.com/recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipe-north-carolina-vinegar-sauce