New stuff for the 462

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It feels like I can lean on it a little harder now. I'm pretty bad about dogging in and raring up on the handle. I'd say it's comparable to the gains from a muffler mod. Combined with the mondo muffler mod it runs pretty good.

Before I got the filter and chopped the top cover, with just the muffler mod, it would run real rich and smoke until you cleared it out with a good full throttle run. And it took 7 pulls to start cold every time.

After the added airflow it starts 4th pull cold and is ready to go. Not sure whats up with that.

Guess I better order one up, hopefully it will add a little oomph to a ported 462. Maybe I should get one for my 261 also. I dont think I can cut my cover like that though, my saws spend a lot of time in the truck. But maybe I can drill a couple holes on each side.
Thanks

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone try the foam filter for this 462? Just curious to hear from anyone who has one.
https://westcoastsaw.com/products/air-cleaner-system-for-stihl®-ms462®?variant=36532614135972
0d816bfc6208be00438d41f7766aba5d.jpg

Nice Filter! Thanks for buying one of our filters!

-Nick
RBS

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It feels like I can lean on it a little harder now. I'm pretty bad about dogging in and raring up on the handle. I'd say it's comparable to the gains from a muffler mod. Combined with the mondo muffler mod it runs pretty good.

Before I got the filter and chopped the top cover, with just the muffler mod, it would run real rich and smoke until you cleared it out with a good full throttle run. And it took 7 pulls to start cold every time.

After the added airflow it starts 4th pull cold and is ready to go. Not sure whats up with that.

Thats great to hear! Its more better ? hehe

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I better order one up, hopefully it will add a little oomph to a ported 462. Maybe I should get one for my 261 also. I dont think I can cut my cover like that though, my saws spend a lot of time in the truck. But maybe I can drill a couple holes on each side.
Thanks

I also stock this filter, as is it made by me. If you really do want one, I have a website.

I dont know the specific rules on here for posting ones website...so if im breaking the rules, please delete this...

www.redbeardsaws.com

Thanks!

Nick

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@TXWelder
How did you cut the hole in the cover? Hole saw?

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@TXWelder
How did you cut the hole in the cover? Hole saw?
3" hole saw if memory serves correct. I drilled the 1/4" pilot hole first. Small holes in the sides I did with an 11/16" hawg bit I think.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any specials for members here?
Have you done any testing to see if any gains were made?
I didn't realize these were made by you. So cool...

Yeah, any discounts for members here?

I currently have a v1 261, v2 261 and 462 ( and a 500i if you design one for it) that could benefit from more better air.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3" hole saw if memory serves correct. I drilled the 1/4" pilot hole first. Small holes in the sides I did with an 11/16" hawg bit I think.

Did you run the saw with the stock cover/bonnet/hood and green filter before you cut holes to see if there was any noticeable difference? Or did you swiss cheese it when the green filter when on?

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you run the saw with the stock cover/bonnet/hood and green filter before you cut holes to see if there was any noticeable difference? Or did you swiss cheese it when the green filter when on?
No, it got Swiss cheesed from the word go.

I wish I would have done it in stages. Should have video'd and timed it all.

As the saw sits currently it has a bgd, barf box knock off, the air filter and a timing advance. I'm fighting the urge to have it ported. For my use it really isn't necessary.

Shot an email to an outfit about having it stroked. I'd like to add 2mm to get it on par with a 461. I've yet to see any 462 beat up on a built 461. $430 to stroke it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow... not cheap. Are you planning on racing this saw?

TX_Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow... not cheap. Are you planning on racing this saw?
No lol. I don't even think that's a thing in my neck of the woods. I'm probably the only saw freak on the gulf coast. It cuts a little firewood and cleans up the occasional tumped over tree on my place.

That's the reason I have a hard time justifying porting it. It probably hasn't seen 10 tanks of fuel since I've had it and I've had it two years.

I just like to hop stuff up and if you're gonna do it you may as well go all out.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. I C. Lol They are much more fun to run when they are ported.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No lol. I don't even think that's a thing in my neck of the woods. I'm probably the only saw freak on the gulf coast. It cuts a little firewood and cleans up the occasional tumped over tree on my place.

That's the reason I have a hard time justifying porting it. It probably hasn't seen 10 tanks of fuel since I've had it and I've had it two years.

I just like to hop stuff up and if you're gonna do it you may as well go all out.

Just get it ported. Its only money

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, any discounts for members here?

I currently have a v1 261, v2 261 and 462 ( and a 500i if you design one for it) that could benefit from more better air.

i can absolutely do a bundle price. Shoot me a PM and we can discuss and come up with a price for 3 filters

mortalitool

aka Nick Stoeckel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nick any plans for the 500i? The interwebs say it’s horrible.

Yep, working on that one at the moment. Have a few prototypes being tested by loggers out west. Feedback has been positive so far. So we'll see. The idea is to keep the stock air filter cover, and utilize the stock twist screw to keep the cover on.