High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

new stihl 111s and 131s.......

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
hey...is anyone using the new fs-111 and/or fs-131 trimmers yet? i gotta buy a couple of new units in the fall to to expand my operation. i have 2x fs-110 trimmers now, and was either getting a new fs-90r or a fs110r and a fs-130 w/bike handles. but i'm worried that they'll be phased out completely before that, which leaves me with the fs-111 & fs-131 for the bigger units.

my chief concern is that semi-auto choke system....like most "improvements" it will work when new, but after awhile not work in a couple of years down the road.

thoughts???

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The choke automatically returns to the run possition when the throttle trigger is pushed. This shouldn`t be a problem, also when used a lot. The newer clearing saws have this feature too. (M-tronic versions and traditional carb version of FS 360 for examble).

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The choke automatically returns to the run possition when the throttle trigger is pushed. This shouldn`t be a problem, also when used a lot. The newer clearing saws have this feature too. (M-tronic versions and traditional carb version of FS 360 for examble).

i went to a stihl dealer after work today. i must say i like the looks and updated housing and kill switch. i guess it's like someone that's used to running an old 2cyl john deere tractor daily having to get excited about what they call john deere tractors today. i don't resist new tech, but i am skeptical at first about it.

Last edited:

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
DND 9000.....

my second cousin used to run a small engine business, and was a major stihl dealer in this area for 40 years. one time while attending a stihl convention in germany, he acquired a stihl farm tractor ( i guess they are very rare). he traded 2x running and restored john deere model h tractors for it, waited for it to clear customs for 2 years.

we used to belong to an antique tractor club, and it was something to see all done up. he kept it in his business showroom until he sold that business and went into selling used cars.

anyway, thanks for the info....

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the choke will he just fine. I've had the 111RX since February and to me it's better than the first generation 4-mix trimmers.

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the choke will he just fine. I've had the 111RX since February and to me it's better than the first generation 4-mix trimmers.

how do you like the updated kill switch? do you miss the old style switch? does the new one seem weird after the old one?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
how do you like the updated kill switch? do you miss the old style switch? does the new one seem weird after the old one?
I definitely prefer the new kill switch and throttle trigger over the old style. The throttle is much easier to feather now. The automotive style paper filter that this trimmer uses, in my opinion, is better than the old style foam and felt filter. It has a perfect fit and new filters are less than $4 with tax at the dealer. It also does not have limiter caps for the carburetor but uses a 4mm hex tool for adjustment. The gas tank is also much larger so you can go further without refueling and when it comes time to adjust the valves you don't have to take off the whole shroud to do the job.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is a technical bulletin on the new 4-mix engines.

Attachments

• new 4 mix mtonic tb.pdf
    773.1 KB · Views: 26

nightwolf1974

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i try and do as much research on things as i can before doing them. my operation is small, and i have to invest as wisely as i can. i'm attempting to expand, and i can't afford to roll the dice on equipment.
i have 2x fs110 trimmers with the bike handles now, but need something to fill the lighter duty role and something a little more beefier than the 110 too. so, i decided to buy a fs90r and a fs130 with the bike handle....but as we all know, they've been replaced with the new line-up.
with what i'm seeing in reviews, and what i've heard here...i feel better about the new line-up now.

thanks!

luca31

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
who knows something about gear head of 131 fs? Which differences between fs 130? Is gear ratio different?

Other practical differences between the two trimmers?
Some people say that 131 is better but they have same power and engine torque ... :thinking:

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
who knows something about gear head of 131 fs? Which differences between fs 130? Is gear ratio different?

Other practical differences between the two trimmers?
Some people say that 131 is better but they have same power and engine torque ... :thinking:
The only difference I've seen is that the new one doesn't have a grease fitting on the bevel gear.

luca31

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sealed beaver gear, ok.
Same performance?

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sealed beaver gear, ok.
Same performance?
I would say same performance. It would at least get you through your warranty but who knows. It's still too early to really know. Every one of my trimmers need a little top up of grease every year.

When I bought my Scag back in 2015 there was no grease fittings anywhere on it. I was really skeptical but so far I've had no problems yet with it, so sealed bearings and gears can last. But for how long no one knows.

luca31

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was asking about performances between 130 and 131, power and torque.
About bevel gear , a lot of stihl trimmer have no grease fitting :thumbup:

luca31

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
can we consider this 131 fs a professional trimer, semi professional or hobby?

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m looking for a bike handled Stihl trimmer that’s has a bit more power than my old FS80 loop handle trimmer. Weight is a big issue for me. I’ll be interested to see what you fella come up with.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m looking for a bike handled Stihl trimmer that’s has a bit more power than my old FS80 loop handle trimmer. Weight is a big issue for me. I’ll be interested to see what you fella come up with.
Does it have to be Stihl? I really used to be a Stihl Fanboy until I got a Maruyama trimmer. Also, is it mainly going to be used for trimming grass or brush cutting? A bike handled trimmer can't be used as an edger and it's overall much slower to use to trim around driveways, fences and the house. But if you're going to be using as a brush cutter then the bike handles would lend itself to be better.

I have bad arthritis now and I use a shoulder strap and a Darwin's grip. It really makes using a trimmer much much easier.

If you just have to have a Stihl, I recommend staying away from a 4-Mix engine such as a FS131.
Fast forward to around to 40 seconds.

Last edited:

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i was asking about performances between 130 and 131, power and torque.
About bevel gear , a lot of stihl trimmer have no grease fitting :thumbup:
There's no difference empower and torque between the 130 and 131.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it have to be Stihl? I really used to be a Stihl Fanboy until I got a Maruyama trimmer. Also, is it mainly going to be used for trimming grass or brush cutting? A bike handled trimmer can't be used as an edger and it's overall much slower to use to trim around driveways, fences and the house. But if you're going to be using as a brush cutter then the bike handles would lend itself to be better.

I have bad arthritis now and I use a shoulder strap and a Darwin's grip. It really makes using a trimmer much much easier.

If you just have to have a Stihl, I recommend staying away from a 4-Mix engine such as a FS131.